Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Successful Fiasco....long read

Started by callaway71, March 25, 2019, 10:32:20 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

callaway71

Yesterday was my second day of hunting this year. A buddy and I set up in the same area of public land Saturday morning but none of the birds would commit to us. Went back yesterday morning with terrible weather. Gloomy and rain moving in had the birds quiet for the most part. Decided to head out to get breakfast when the downpour came. As I was walking out I saw a lone bird in the back of a field but didn't care about getting soaked. Came back after running in town for food and noticed the bird was still in the same location. Ended up being a gobbler.

Rain was moving out according to the radar so now it was time to make a game plan. The field I was near had a knoll in the middle so I could ease up to spy the gobbler. Grabbed my bow and a hen decoy and made my way through some sage behind the knoll. Now keep in mind part of this field is mowed short so it's very open minus the knoll to hide behind. As I eased up I spotted the gobbler just drying out and cleaning myself. Called once but no acknowledgement. Called as loud as I could and he blew up and gobbled. Game on!

I watched him for a few more minutes and he finally moved toward me. As he dipped down in a low spot I returned to the sage and decided on my setup. Hen decoy is out about 20 yds from me. I'm tucked in between clumps of sage and sumac seedlings. At this time I think I hear a gobble to my west as crows caw near that area. I yelped lightly to avail. 10-15 mins pass as I look down at my phone (Roost texting me) I hear spitting. Look up to see nothing in front of me. Glance to my west and a gobbler is strutting down the edge of the sage. Nothing comes easy...

This gobbler locked up at about 50 yds and just spun around for about 45 mins. I figured the game was over since I was bow hunting and couldn't reposition for a shot. Roost sends a text, let it loose, lol. I decided to ease up on my knees when he faced away from me. Halfway to my knees he turned toward me. Great, now I'm in an awkward position and can't move. The gobbler breaks toward the decoy but stops about 30-35 yds and begins twirling again. Find my opportunity to sit back down and find an opening. He struts up to 25 yds but behind a lot of brush. I just need him to move to the left another 10 yds.

There always comes a moment while bowbunting when wishing for a shotgun occurs. I reached that moment when that gobbler strutted in my small opening and decided to face me. He's at 15-20 yds, I feel like I'm in the wide open, no blind, no gun for a quick shot. What only lasted 15 secs felt like forever. He spun, Texas bullseye big as can be so I draw. He turns to face decoy. Pin is on my target. Ease the release's trigger and arrow hits the mark. Touch low. The gobbler limps out to about 30 yds or so. I nock another arrow and he continues limping away. Guess him to be about 45-50 yds, adjust my sight, draw, release, thump. Arrow connects, birds flies away but barely above ground. Damn it was my thought.

Gathered my gear and composed myself. Thoughts running wild. Why couldn't it have been a clean miss. I hate wounding any creature. Walked over to the first shot and among the pile of feathers laid my arrow in two pieces. Not good. Eased out to the second shot, more feathers. No blood. My arrow stayed in the turkey as he attempted to fly away. As I looked the direction he flew I could see a trail of feathers. I followed them over the rise to the edge of more sage. Some feathers caught my eye to my right and then I catch movement about five yds in. There he lay with his head up. My decoy and bow hit the ground as I run after him. He gets up, although fatally wounded, and proceeds to humiliate me just a few seconds more. I chase him down and put the boot to his head and realize he's mine. At that moment I called Roost. Sometimes excitement isn't realized through texts but my voice left no doubt while we talked. Highs and lows come each time we hunt. I've had a lot of success bow hunting turkeys over the years. I'm just so grateful this hunt ended with me tagging this bird. It'll be a hunt I'll never forget.

honker22

Awesome!  Great story too.  I've only shot 1 bird with a bow.  I was out in texas and the bird was like 5 yards, so close that I couldn't tell where I hit him.  As he limps away, I told the cameraman to hand me my gun.  The outfitter rules, are if you draw blood, it counts as   I proceed to smoke him at about 35 yards with the 12 gauge.  Needless to say, that hunt didn't air on TV.
People who don't get it, don't get that they don't get it.

Roost 1

Congrats buddy... u might be the only hunter on OG to enter a bow killed gobbler.
Definitely a worthy accomplishment...

wvmntnhick

My daughter just had me read her the story. She saw the pic. Asked if it was shot with the bow. Told her it was. Now she tells me my next one has to be with a bow too. So, congrats to you and thanks for making my life more difficult. Hard enough to keep a 5 y/o excited as it is. Lol. Congrats man.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

GobbleNut

Great story, callaway.  Anybody that chooses to hunt gobblers with a bow under "traditional" conditions has my utmost respect.  Kudos to you, buddy!

hookedspur

Congrats on the bird and a wonderful memory
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions