OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Purpose built Ithaca Mag 10 turkey gun  (Read 12722 times)

Offline robp

Purpose built Ithaca Mag 10 turkey gun
« on: April 30, 2011, 06:30:45 PM »
New to the forum matter or fact this is my very first post.I need some opinions on mag 10s- I have a bee in my bonnet to own a Ithaca mag 10.
My idea is to buy a nice used one. Have a gunsmith cut off the barrel someplace between 20 and 24 inches. Have the barrel threaded to except choke tubes of some kind, add some rifle style sights or an optic, paint camo and have a purpose built 10-gauge turkey gun.
I don’t want an sp10.
What should I look for in mag 10s?
Will cutting off the barrel effect mechanical operation of this gas-operated shotgun?
Who should I send it to have the work done?

thanks in advance

Offline I hate turkeys

Re: Purpose built Ithaca Mag 10 turkey gun
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 06:31:03 PM »
Why no SP 10 I think the Ithaca and SP 10 are close cousins.  What you may run into is a limited number of chokes that's what happened to me when I had a 12 Ga barrel shortened. My 12 ga is gas operated and the shortened barrel has zero affect on performance. I do have a SP 10 also.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

Offline BIGBOB

« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 07:14:13 PM »
I will tell you my experience with the ithaca mag10. I bought one in the late 70s.used for waterfowl hunting 32 in bbl. Later had it bore out to modified choke because nobody would put a screw in choke because of barrel wall thickness. Last year i decided to put in back in use for turkey hunting. The only ones who would consider putting chokes in it was briley and rhino.After talking with JOE MORALES at rhino he said he would see if it could be done. He called me after he got my bbl and said he thought he could choke it but after he cut the bbl down it might be too thin.I had requested the bbl be cut from 32in. down to 25 in.I told him to go ahead. He called me back and said he got it done but not to ever take the choke out because how thin the bbl walls were.This gun is now awesome. It throws the best pattern at 60 yds with hevi 5 i have ever seen.I have already killed 3 this year one was at 64 yds. It was suppose to be a backup gun but it is my no.1 turkey gun now. ONE thing you need to consider that it will be hard to find  some replacement parts should something break. Hope this helps.You can send me a pm if i can help you.

Offline Mike Honcho

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2011, 03:45:37 PM »
I too always wanted a mag 10, ever since they first came out.   From what I have read when Remington bought the rights to the Mag 10 they improved the action some...I think to prevent jamming in the shell lifter area which was supposedly a problem in Mag 10's...again don't know I haven't owned one.  With some pretty reasonable buys on SP 10's out there that might be a more practical choice (given the SP 10's interchangeable choke system).
The advent of steel shot pretty much made the Mag 10 a stepchild and or a turkey gun.   I still look at them in gunstores every time I see one but always walk away from the 30 or 32" barrels.  There are several members of this forum who use them and swear by them.  For me, I ended up with a camo BPS 10 gauge pump and get along great with it.   I'd still like to own one of those Mag 10 Roadblockers though...

Offline platinumwindow99

« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2011, 07:20:52 PM »
 AnglePorting by Ballistic Specialties, they cut my Mag 10 barrel to 23" and install a Nonported SS .680 tube, great pattern using the old Remington Hevi shot 1 7/8 oz  # 6's....

Offline JDogg

« Reply #5 on: May 05, 2011, 04:34:16 PM »
I've heard great things about Mike Orlen on the Shotgun world forums.  If you're a member there he cuts and threads for 35.00!!!!  Many many folks have had him work on their rigs and have nothing but praise for him.

Offline OldMarine

« Reply #6 on: May 30, 2011, 11:21:11 PM »
I bought a new Mag 10 in 1983 and have hunted with it every turkey season since.I sent it to Mark Bansner  ( bansner@ptd.net  ) and had the barrel cut to 22" and he honed the tube and put a permanent choke tube in that doesn't screw out.I've been happy with mine,but it's HEAVY  !
“Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so.” – Ronald Reagan

Offline gobblerguide

« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2011, 08:46:22 AM »
I have owned 2 mag 10s ,one was a limited run factory painted camo 26inch barrell turkey slayer.I know they didnt make many but if you find one you will have a real jewel. Sold mine and regret it badly.
Worse than the bird flu on gobblers!

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2011, 10:51:07 AM »
I sold my Mag 10 to a buddy who had Briley shorten it to 25" and put in a choke.  He only drags it out occasionally to deal with stubborn birds that hang up and only as a last ditch effort when ending the season.  It is a mean lookin' gun with that stubby barrel and long forearm and receiver.

Offline CommandCar

« Reply #9 on: June 02, 2011, 07:05:18 PM »
Buy a Browning Gold.  It is 9 something pounds smooth and more manageable than the heavy Mag 10/SP 10.  Your wallet might come out a little lighter too, but you will def. be happy.

Offline nflorek

« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2011, 10:51:56 PM »
Buy a Browning Gold.  It is 9 something pounds smooth and more manageable than the heavy Mag 10/SP 10.  Your wallet might come out a little lighter too, but you will def. be happy.
I have a gold lite nwtf and love it. i also have a h@r and a bps 10ga. Alot of people talk about the golds and say they do not pattern very well maybe i got lucky but it has the best pattern of the 3

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: June 04, 2011, 09:37:23 AM »
If I remember correctly Dick Kirby was a big fan of the Ithica mag10, same goes for Ben Lee-

If you decide on the removable choke route ,get a dial calipar and start doing measurements on any Ithica MAG10 exterior barrel  dimensions and run those by your gunsmith {who specializes in shotgun barrels }to see if your project is possible , some members here own Mag10's and might be able to help -   

I constantly see MAG10's available for auction in the 500 range

BTW - dont get sold into some thin wall or obscure 10 gauge thread pattern  , get it done in the Remington or Browning/HR/NEF patterns

:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #12 on: June 04, 2011, 10:51:30 AM »
If I remember correctly Dick Kirby was a big fan of the Ithica mag10, same goes for Ben Lee-

I got hooked on 10s through John McDaniel's book which came out in the 70s.  Yes, both Lee and Kirby toted Mag 10s for awhile. In my mind's eye,  I can still see photos of Big Ben toting his Mag 10 slung. A lot of folks jumped ship on the 10s when Federal came out with the 3.5" 12 and Mossy came out with the 835.  That's about when I did and I haven't looked back with regret although I wish I had kept the Ithaca NID S x S Magnum because of its rarity.

Offline OldMarine

« Reply #13 on: June 06, 2011, 12:26:13 AM »

If you decide on the removable choke route ,get a dial calipar and start doing measurements on any Ithica MAG10 exterior barrel  dimensions and run those by your gunsmith {who specializes in shotgun barrels }to see if your project is possible , some members here own Mag10's and might be able to help -   

I constantly see MAG10's available for auction in the 500 range

BTW - dont get sold into some thin wall or obscure 10 gauge thread pattern  , get it done in the Remington or Browning/HR/NEF patterns

Correct oldgobbler and Mark Bansner installed the choke for Dick Kirby's  Mag 10 about the same time he did mine !
“Well, the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn’t so.” – Ronald Reagan

Offline gobblergls

« Reply #14 on: June 06, 2011, 07:02:40 AM »
Years ago I called Quaker Boy about buying calls and Dick Kirby answered the phone.  We talked about guns and loads, and Kirby told me a chilling story  about using the Mag 10 with #2s years ago.  He was hunting private property and was told he would be the only gun in the area he was in.  It was fall hunting and he had scattered some birds and was calling them back in.  He heard birds coming in on the other side of a rise.  He pointed the gun in the direction and waited for the head to clear.  He saw red and white and knew it was a bird, but waited for more to show.  He saw a face under the colors.  One of the off duty guides had come into the area and was woods roaming looking for birds to scatter.  The guide was wearing a DU hat that had a woodduck head embroidered on  the front.  He was furious with the guide for wearing turkey colors and being in the wrong place; and very grateful and relieved that he waited for full id of the target.  The guide was lucky because some others may not have have had the restraint that Dick exhibited.  Dick stopped shooting #2s after that incident which would have surely killed the man had he shot him at the range he first appeared.  There are a lot of lessons to be learned from that incident.
« Last Edit: June 06, 2011, 08:10:56 AM by gobblergls »