OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Upgrade- tagged out in MS  (Read 2009 times)

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Upgrade- tagged out in MS
« on: March 23, 2019, 12:47:34 PM »
As many of you know, I'm a tireless scouter when it comes to turkey hunting. Anyway, today was my second day to hunt a new property that I have sole turkey rights to (600 acre timber company deer camp). Haven't seen a tremendous amount of sign but I always use/trust my trail cameras to fill in the gaps in my observations. I pulled some cards yesterday afternoon and saw a  strutter with 4 hens in a tiny field surrounded by mature hardwood timber. This morning I got in well before daylight and just took in the beautiful morning. Around 6:45 and owl cut loose behind me and the old boy gobbled back. This went on for about 10 minutes then the next time he gobbled you could tell he was on the ground. I assumed the same hens we're with him but started running a string of cuts/yelps every 10 minutes or so. He began circling the hill I was on and I assumed he was heading toward the neighboring property which has a huge pasture on it. I decided to sit quietly, hoping they would come back to my hill in the late morning as the day got warmer. After 20 minutes or so he gobbled again, this time behind me but still in the hardwoods. I began to cut and purr and he responded and began to cut the distance. He continued to work around me and closed the distance in the next 15 minutes (seemed like hours) but I knew he was committed now. I got my gun pointed toward my boy (Funky Chicken) as I figured he would be the object of aggression when he hit the field. I thought he was going to come in from my left, following the field road I walked in on, but the old boy went across it and came into the field within 10 feet of Funky and right in front of my gun barrell. The little 20 spoke and 20 yards away the final flop began. I'm attaching a nice pic I got of him on his next to last day on this Earth.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline TKE921

Re: Upgrade- tagged out in MS
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2019, 02:59:26 PM »
Very nice bird.  The Funky Chicken is the worst looking, greatest working decoy I have ever used.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2019, 03:03:05 PM »
Agreed. I had some guys I hunted with in Alabama swear by it a few years ago. I bought one, but rarely used it until this year, looks like that was a poor decision.

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2019, 06:11:34 PM »
that is a great pic and a Awesome hunt congrats on your limit.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2019, 03:11:11 PM »
Outstanding achievement, brother. Alabama still has birds, yes?

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Offline harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2019, 03:47:51 PM »
I hope so. I'll be hunting NW Alabama starting on 30th. May do some Indian guiding in Mississippi for friends/family.

Offline 3seasons

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 10:05:40 PM »
That’s awesome. Congrats on another fine bird