turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet hunting question?

Started by davisd9, March 22, 2019, 12:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jobugg12

I had some thin dark brown leather gloves that worked good, but lost them..........

davisd9

Rapscallion Vermilion did a spectrogram of me calling with gloves and without from sound files I sent him.

Gloves were tight fitting with fingers cut out.

We both felt we could hear a difference but was not sure if it was just us thinking we heard a difference, well the spectrogram showed the truth.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Chris O

That's interesting!!!  Is that a big difference between the two? From his point of view that actually knows what he is looking at?

ChiefBubba

Yea I'm just a dumb country boy. WTH Does that mean? Looks to me like I might be having a stroke or heart attack. Lol Bubba

Rapscallion Vermilion

Bubba, you're gonna be alright.  ;D  Lovett Williams has pages and pages of these for different turkey sounds he recorded for his book Voice and Vocabulary of the Wild Turkey.  Horizontal axis is time in seconds, so the entire window left to right is about 1.7 seconds.  Vertical axis is frequency in kilohertz.  You can see the dominant note of davisd9's trumpet is around 1 kilohertz, which is right in line with what Lovett Williams says is the median pitch for the plain yelps he has recorded.  Color brightness towards green to yellow is louder, black is no sound at that time and frequency.  The Gloves spectrogram has weaker peaks by about 2 to 3 decibels and the peaks are a little less defined.  You can see that the Gloves example has more low level hash or noise in the background at mid to lower frequencies.  That's only there when he's playing, so it is sound coming out of the trumpet, but is being taken out of the main notes and thrown into this background. In the No Gloves example, you can more clearly see the higher frequency leading edge to each yelp around 1.6 kilohertz (a kee note), followed by the dominant note with some rollover. That leading edge is a bit harder to see in the Gloves example. If you were to make an analogy with a photograph, you would say the No Gloves one was a sharper image with more contrast.

wchadw

Quote from: Happy on March 23, 2019, 08:37:17 PM
These help
I have these and no fingers helps but still these muffle the sound.

wchadw

I may try these?

https://palmfreesunwear.com/

wchadw

Ended up just cutting palms out of these. Sounds much better. They may fall apart but better than buying something else

davisd9

Carbomask is a good product you can apply to the back of your hands.  I hunted a lot without gloves last year and did not get busted for not having them.  If you want a glove go to the thin stretching gloves.  Good luck.
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

Paladin85

I use carbon mask too. Have used regular face paint just on tops of fingers and back of hand but the greasy residue sometimes gets on trumpet but can be cleaned off later

greentag

When I first started many many years ago,I thought I had to have camo on everything,as time passed and I learned more about what I was doing I started shedding some of it,I never wear gloves anymore unless it's fall and cold,but spring I usually never wear them and do just fine,the main thing is movement,if your not moving your hands and keep them still then by the time they are in range it's already to late...

Scpossum

Carbomask is what I use also.  Good product.