turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trumpet hunting question?

Started by davisd9, March 22, 2019, 12:18:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Who wears gloves when calling with trumpets? I think I have decided to just leave the gloves at home since I use trumpets as much as I do. Really do not want to put paint or anything on my hands to have to clean off and do not think bare hands will hurt anything. Thoughts or opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

gergg

Quote from: davisd9 on March 22, 2019, 12:18:26 PM
Who wears gloves when calling with trumpets? I think I have decided to just leave the gloves at home since I use trumpets as much as I do. Really do not want to put paint or anything on my hands to have to clean off and do not think bare hands will hurt anything. Thoughts or opinions?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
I do the same thing, gloves just deaden the trumpet, can't stand wearing them. I do have a pair of wool gloves that have no fingers, just slip over the thumb, I wear them and then flip them back over my hand when calling. Depends on how cold it is.
https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

silverspur

when I am running a trumpet in the woods hunting, I take my gloves off. I just cant do it with them on and make the trumpet sound good.
Longbeards / Sharp Spurs

Chris O

I wear brown jersey gloves with the middle 2 fingers cut off just past the first knuckle. I learned from last year that it's different wearing gloves. I don't feel right with bare skin showing. I don't know for sure if gloves actually change the sound of the call that the turkey hears but it sure makes it sound different to your ears while playing. I recorded myself wearing gloves  last year and it still sounded like my calling .

Rapscallion Vermilion

Gloves and trumpets don't play well together for me either.  I put Carbo Mask on the back of my hands. Doesn't rub off on stuff, but comes off easily with makeup wipes.

EZ

I have all the fingers cut out of my gloves and that helps a lot. It still muffles the sound a little though. Maybe we should look into these: (in black)

https://www.justworkgloves.co.uk/Disposable-Gloves/Nitrile-Gloves

Happy

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

davisd9

I have tried gloves with the fingers cut out but the palm seems to muffle the sound. I have hunted since Wednesday with no gloves and it does not seem to have mattered so far. Del mentioned a palmless duck calling glove that would probably work well but I think I may try the stuff Mr. Mike recommended or burnt cork. Just could not think of a turkey that I killed because I was wearing gloves or one that got away because I did not have any on. Only reason i started wearing them was because I was told you had to. I appreciate all the comments!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

crow

Quote from: EZ on March 22, 2019, 01:47:33 PM
I have all the fingers cut out of my gloves and that helps a lot. It still muffles the sound a little though. Maybe we should look into these: (in black)

Show up in the woods with those rubber gloves and a cowhorn yelper and you will scare half the gobblers into silence, thinking it's a stethoscope and your there for the yearly spring doctors checkup

EZ

Quote from: crow on March 24, 2019, 01:10:04 PM
Quote from: EZ on March 22, 2019, 01:47:33 PM

Show up in the woods with those rubber gloves and a cowhorn yelper and you will scare half the gobblers into silence, thinking it's a stethoscope and your there for the yearly spring doctors checkup

Lol, not a bad idea!!!

Gobbler428

I just take mine off when I'm running the trumpet and put them back on if I get the chance. if not. I just go without them.

ol bob

Why not just cut the palms out? leave the fingers and cuff.

gergg

https://www.gwaltneygamecalls.com/

Greg Gwaltney Game Calls
2022 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call (Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 2nd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet)
2021 NWTF Grand Nationals - 5th Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF Grand Nationals - 3rd Place Air Operated Call(Trumpet Call)
2019 NWTF S.E. Call Makers Contest - 4th Place Trumpet Calls

2nd 100

When setting up old school , in front of the tree , I still use mechanix gloves or Bob Allen shooting gloves and do not think it has hurt my success in the last 2 yrs running trumpets almost exclusively. But Damn I hate gloves using scratchboxes. I can't seem to get the stroke right with them on . but the trumpets are working fine thru gloved hands . Maybe they help me tone down some IDK, being hard of hearing I do call loud on all callers.

LabsRUsII

I use camoskinz gloves- thin and form fitting. tried with and without  not much different, but depends on how cold it is, too
Custom Call Maker
Turkey Calls- Trumpets, Tubes, Pots, Boxes
Duck Calls and whistles
Exotic woods