turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Question for Virginia/WV hunters...

Started by TTG, March 21, 2019, 06:04:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TTG

So I'm now located in southwestern VA, Blacksburg to be specific. This may sound like a dumb question, but are bears something to worry about in the spring time? It crossed my mind the other day when a friend mentioned them and I've never really had to worry about them before as I grew up on the coast of SC. I've heard you don't want to find yourself between a mother bear and her cubs especially. So is this something y'all keep an eye out for or is it more or less a non-issue?

Thanks

Mathews.1

They are wild animals so be careful if you encounter one. They are one of the most beautiful animals in the wild but are usually very shy. Typically if they wind you the will run away.

Happy

Have hunted wv for over 20 years and have only had 1 what I would call tense moment with a bear. I have seen them often but unless you suprise a sow with cubs at close quarters there typically isn't too much concern. Common sense goes a long ways.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

LaLongbeard

Unless your bow hunting I wouldn't even think about it. Carrying a shotgun and getting attacked by a black bear are on the same worry list as global warming
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

mtns2hunt

I see bears almost every time I cut wood in the NF. Usually run away when they spot you. Gotta remember bears get hunted alot in these parts so they fear humans and dogs.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

TauntoHawk

The only tense bear encounter I've had was in a non hunted park in Canada whike back packing of course no weapons present. With a shotgun I agree not a worry

Sent from my Pixel 2 using Tapatalk

<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

WV Flopper

At ten feet I feel a bear is in my danger zone. At ten feet a 10 gauge will open up a bears head. If u are in danger a shotgun will kill a bear, with birdshot! When u kill a bear with 6-7-8-9 ur in the danger zone. IMO
I am not a game warden or animal rights person. I eat animals.

Chordeiles

I've been hunting the mountains of Va and West by God for the past 30 years.
I've seen a few bears. Never had a problem with them. I don't even know anybody who has.
Be aware of your surroundings and give them a wide berth, if you see one, and you'll be fine.
I'd be more worried about going to the local Walmart.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

appalachianstruttstopper

Never gave me any problems. I've seen several while turkey hunting in south west Virginia mtns and they scatter quick. Way I look at it is if they charge me, I'm gonna shoot it in the mouth with a load of 6 shoot. Then if it kills me, at least it won't taste me. I personally worry more about copperhead's than I do bears.

turkey_slayer

I'm not to far from you. Don't see many in the spring but October is another thing. They want bother you but they will shut up a turkey quicker than anything

longbeards

Bears will not bother you in the Appalachians,,,have hunted the mts west of where you are on the border of the two most of my life,,,have seen the bear population go threw the roof!! Will raid your trash, your corn field but do their best to avoid humans!!

Gobble!

Quote from: Happy on March 21, 2019, 06:28:57 PM
Have hunted wv for over 20 years and have only had 1 what I would call tense moment with a bear. I have seen them often but unless you suprise a sow with cubs at close quarters there typically isn't too much concern. Common sense goes a long ways.

x2. I worry more about snakes than bears.

trkehunr93

I'm in the Roanoke area and have never had a bear encounter in the spring.  I hunt public and private and I see where they have been but have never run into one.  I've had more encounters with coyotes and bobcats than anything.  Like Gobble said, I look more for copperheads and timber rattlers.

appalachianassassin

Quote from: longbeards on March 22, 2019, 07:16:36 AM
Bears will not bother you in the Appalachians,,,have hunted the mts west of where you are on the border of the two most of my life,,,have seen the bear population go threw the roof!! Will raid your trash, your corn field but do their best to avoid humans!!
my opinion as well

dwcim

I live in Southern WV and see many bears in the woods and even my back yard. I have had a couple of experiences with a sow and cubs during spring season, but I was careful to back away. You have to worry more about calling in coyotes, foxes and bobcats than anything else. Had a friend that was attacked by a fox while calling and had to take rabies vaccines. I have had many predators come running in toward me while calling thinking that I was a turkey for a feast.