OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Does Wind Direction Affect POI?  (Read 1826 times)

Offline ads1

Does Wind Direction Affect POI?
« on: March 21, 2019, 02:02:00 PM »
This morning wind was 15 miles per hour from the north. I was shooting west. My POI was shifted about 3 to 5 inches to the left at 20 yards. Any seasoned hunters out there who wants to validate my observations. At 40 yards POI may be off enough to miss a bird. :turkey2:
Terry E. Kiser from Southeastern Illinois

Offline twyatt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Does Wind Direction Affect POI?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2019, 04:00:17 PM »
I'm not a seasoned hunter, but I can confirm POI change for sure with a strong wind.  I shot today at 40 yards and my entire pattern was several inches to the right.   Wind was a stiff 25mph crosswind, and I had no idea it would affect it the way it did.   So I'm going with YES, definitely.  I'm not even sure I'd have hit the bird with the effects I saw.
I did shoot at 20 yards too and the effects were minimal at best.  At 40 I could REALLY see the wind effects.
Shooting a 870 20ga and TSS 9's and the gun/optics were previously sighted in/patterned, and I was shooting off of a bench rest, so this wasn't a case of anything except the wind

Offline squidd

• God, Family and Country
Re: Does Wind Direction Affect POI?
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2019, 08:44:18 PM »
I would say yes and hate shooting Longbeards into the wind - that filler can’t be good for the lungs!