OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Non-Traditional top reed cuts  (Read 2131 times)

Offline compton30

• The Boss Gobbler
Non-Traditional top reed cuts
« on: March 21, 2019, 05:42:29 AM »
Yesterday I was meandering the respective pages of Gooserbat and Woodhaven because I wanted to offer an opinion in a different thread, and I noticed Woodhaven offers a number calls with what I would call "Non-Traditional cuts" in their calls. To clarify by what I would consider "traditional," I'm talking your Vs, Combos, Batwings, Old Hen and Ghost cuts. I'm leaving out the trimming of wings on a call because, in general, you still know a ghost cut or a V cut whether it has small parts of the wings trimmed or not.

Now that I've managed to bumble my way through that part, I'm wondering any of you have used these other style of cuts like you see in Woodhaven's "Copperhead", "Ninja Hammer", or the one's that look similar to a turkey track cut into the top reed? I've never messed with them because I'd likely end up messing up more calls than anything.

For any of you guys that have done it, are there any benefits? Just curious as I look at one from Woodhaven that they're calling the "Hyper Ninja". Almost like a V cut with a small ghost cut piece on one of the sides of the V. Intriguing

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
Re: Non-Traditional top reed cuts
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2019, 08:25:49 AM »
Although cut designs are infinite, I believe I have pretty much covered them all.  ;D   Basically speaking, I don't give up on a call until there are no reeds left to mess with.  I always start with the traditional stuff, but if I haven't found that "turkey" in a call with any of those, I just do whatever comes to mind. 

I have great sounding calls that I literally just grabbed one of the reeds and yanked it to pull off whatever came off of it,...and then starting cutting on what was left.  I have some calls that only have a quarter of an inch of reed material left that I finally found the turkey in. 

The moral of my story is "don't give up on a call until there is no reed material left to work with".   ;D :toothy12: