turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

onX app

Started by BMAC_Turkeys, March 13, 2019, 11:41:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NCL

Another thing I use the OnX is to identify property owners to ask for permission saves me a trip to the records office.

Spurs

Quote from: deerhunt1988 on March 14, 2019, 11:03:10 AM
Quote from: Spurs on March 14, 2019, 09:04:22 AM
Quote from: deerhunt1988 on March 14, 2019, 04:55:38 AM
Or you can use Gaia GPS instead which is just as good for much cheaper.. ~$37 for a year subscription and you can access maps for all states

That is what I use too.  The aerial sucks, but I use topos 90% of the time.  OnX is just too expensive IMO.

Have you tried to 'Satellite Topo (Feet)' layer? It has the newest imagery for me. The other aerial layers were several years old though.

Gaia also has 'Offline' use and a ton of other state specific maps. I've used OnX and prefer the Gaia maps.

I have, but there is also a love/hate relationship there.  I would just prefer to have a recent "leaf off" type of satellite image.  I know that most states have them through one outlet or another.  All of them are a little blurry.  Like I said though, I use a topo way more than an aerial.
This year is going to suck!!!

Gobble!

Quote from: NCL on March 14, 2019, 12:44:48 PM
Another thing I use the OnX is to identify property owners to ask for permission saves me a trip to the records office.

Be careful. I've figured out three times in the last week it is outdated, in Maryland anyway.

charlesgoff71

I use it for scouting new public land. The Ariel photos with the topography lines are awesome. You can eliminate alot of property that won't hold birds. I also use it to find walk in hunting areas in ks and to make sure I stay within the property boundary.

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

NCL

Quote from: Gobble! on March 15, 2019, 04:37:52 PM

Be careful. I've figured out three times in the last week it is outdated, in Maryland anyway.

That is very interesting because my very limited experience is different. There is a property that I used to have permission to hunt that sold about a year ago and the new owner is already listed. The few land owners names that I have contacted from information obtained from OnX was correct. Maybe it depends on the state and how fast the property records are updates? 

Bagg-it Tag-it

Quote from: NCL on March 16, 2019, 09:32:24 AM

That is very interesting because my very limited experience is different. There is a property that I used to have permission to hunt that sold about a year ago and the new owner is already listed. The few land owners names that I have contacted from information obtained from OnX was correct. Maybe it depends on the state and how fast the property records are updates?

I think this will have less to do with the actual app and more to do with the speed with which the county updates property transfers. I am a realtor and even what we see in the MLS and tax record is constrained by the speed that the county updates their records.

turkaholic

Love onx,  it opens the doors for getting new ground to hunt. Areas I've driven by but never knew who owned it and how many acres are there. I have sent out quite a few permission requests this year already. Will see if they bite
live to hunt hunt to live

Cut N Run

TauntoHawk convinced me to get onX and it has helped me dramatically.  Using onX, there's no question about where property lines are, or whose property I'm hunting on.  I used it yesterday to help define public land boundaries for where I can and cannot hunt.  I found a small out of the way place that gets little or no hunting pressure. The turkeys there are in serious trouble in a few weeks.  I've used it in the dark to find my way when I got turned around in a swamp I seldom hunt.

I also use it for my work to better understand the property lines between houses in areas with large or odd shaped lots. I also got my company to buy it for me.  Win/Win!

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Gobble!

Quote from: turkaholic on March 17, 2019, 07:55:08 AM
Love onx,  it opens the doors for getting new ground to hunt. Areas I've driven by but never knew who owned it and how many acres are there. I have sent out quite a few permission requests this year already. Will see if they bite

Same boat. I've sent out 17 letters, only responses so far are 3 we no longer own the land.

BBURN

Quote from: Bagg-it Tag-it on March 16, 2019, 10:14:16 AM
Quote from: NCL on March 16, 2019, 09:32:24 AM

I think this will have less to do with the actual app and more to do with the speed with which the county updates property transfers. I am a realtor and even what we see in the MLS and tax record is constrained by the speed that the county updates their records.

I live in South Carolina and really like OnX.  With that being said, SC must be one of those states that take forever to update property changes.  I know of at least 5 properties that were sold to people I know going back 3 or 4 years ago that still have the old owners on the app. The property lines are good and the landowner data is good for the most part, but at times it can be questionable although probably not the fault of OnX itself.

dublelung

That's actually the least accurate thing about onx. I know of several places the landowner information is incorrect. We have 38 acres that we've owned over 50 years and it shows as belonging to a guy across the river from us. I really like every other feature about onx though. 

NCL

Interesting that the land owner update is so different from state to state, especially property that has been in one family'd name for 50 years. Here as I mentioned there is a property that was sold in it was updated in under  a years.

gaswamp