OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: On X??  (Read 1259 times)

Offline fallsflight

• The Boss Gobbler
On X??
« on: March 20, 2019, 08:27:13 AM »
I know from reading that the On X app shows property boundaries, but does it show your location where you are standing and the boundaries at the same time?  Was thinking I could use the app to put up posted signs.
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline birdsandspurs

Re: On X??
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2019, 08:52:35 AM »
Yes it does but I don't trust that onx it's so off in many places I hunt for boundary lines.

Offline Gobspur

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2019, 08:53:07 AM »
Yes, it sure does.  You can even download the maps where you'll be, and go offline (airplane mode), and your phones GPS will still show your location.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Offline blake_08

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2019, 09:03:09 AM »
Like others have said, it shows property lines and your location simultaneously but the accuracy is not right on. It seems like it's off in many places by 20-40 yards. For staking out hunting spots it's great but for marking property lines, i'd say it isn't accurate enough.

Offline BBURN

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 09:20:30 AM »
Yes, OnX Hunt marks your location and boundary lines whether you use the maps online or a saved map offline. Same with the tracker which marks your trail and waypoints you mark. From my experience, it is pretty much dead on or at least really close. I haven’t seen the 30-40 yard discrepancies although I don’t doubt they are there. The other day I was scouting public land in SC a little over a mile in and stood on OnX’s boundary line while standing next to a tree that had a WMA marker on one side and a posted side on the other. 

Offline Gobspur

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2019, 09:39:51 AM »
Two things you have to keep in mind.
1) The accuracy of your shown location has to do with your phones GPS, not onx.  GPS accuracy varies and is affected by many things like #available satellites, atomspheric conditions, sky blockage such as canopy cover, and the quality of your phones receiver.  I've seen accuracy be extremely precise and also way off, depending on these conditions.
2) The property lines in onx come from the county data.  This data is usually GIS data created by someone looking at a platted survey.  It is not the actual platted survey created by a registered land surveyor, with a legal description.  So it is not precisely accurate.  I have seen plenty of inaccurate boundary lines, but for the most part they a fairly accurate.

Sent from my SM-G955U1 using Tapatalk

Offline fallsflight

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2019, 10:36:52 AM »
Thanks for the replies!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2019, 12:44:07 PM »
From personal experience, I can say they are typically correct, but not 100%.  I bought 40 acres last year and the property boundary is about 150' from the actual line.  I have used a similar product (GAIA) for years now and I'd say 95% correct.
This year is going to suck!!!

Offline strutstopper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 01:01:25 PM »
Single state is $17.99 on camofire today.

Offline Plush

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 02:47:30 PM »
As long as you aren't trying to get right on a property line it is pretty accurate. It can be off though...not usually crazy off. Also hard to know where you accurately are on the map unless you have a waypoint you can see from above, I wouldn't trust your dot among a bunch of trees.

I could pull up many examples where a field creeps over a line on Onx or a road to a the back of a property is over the line. I am guessing they don't actually plant on the wrong property nor do they have their trail go on a neighboring property.

Offline ggrue

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2019, 10:33:51 AM »
It does show you the boundary lines (appox like many others have stated) and a blue dot of your location.  I like it because you can switch from topo, sat, or both easily. One tip is to saved the location for off grid use before using.  Never fails when signal is goes away in a creek bottom. 

Offline gaswamp

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2019, 03:57:44 PM »
what is the minimum size phone u need to have for onX?

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2019, 04:08:20 PM »
what is the minimum size phone u need to have for onX?

No minimum as long as its a smart phone but I like it as big as possible. I'm a iphone+ guy.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2019, 04:47:13 PM »
I have found that OnX matches the tax maps for property lines better then the minds of where most people "think" their lines are. Granted owner information and changes are subject to slow updating. Onx updates regularly but they can't update what the county GIS hasn't updated and the county is often slowww to change records online.

I've also found where public land is often liberally posted, its been tough with a paper map to vet out where i am standing in relation to those lines but with onX i can typically find the public markers or paint to verify that onX is correct and not the posted signs which can be hundreds of yards into the public.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>