OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Travling to Black Hills SD

Started by Crghss, March 19, 2019, 03:09:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Crghss

For people who've traveled to Black Hills, SD to turkey hunt, did you fly to Rapid City or Denver?

Cost more to fly to Rapid City but I could be hunting or fishing that day.

Save money going to Denver but then a 6+ hour driver to the Black Hills.

Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

turkey_slayer

I'll fly into rapid City. Not worth saving roughly  $100 to me. I despise driving tho

FL-Boss

+1 and rapid city is a lot easier to deal with. Denver is always the biggest PITA when traveling with a gun..

SD_smith

My father always flies into Rapid City when he comes out each spring. Easy airport to deal with and isn't much more expensive compared to the drive from the other major airports in Denver.

SD_smith

You'll spend more than $100 on gas from Denver.

Crghss

I've decided to fly to rapid City. Difference in price was $300. This is a cast and blast trip.

So I figured I could stop at fishing spots on the way too spearfish where I plan to hunt if I went to Denver.

But I decided the best options is too get to rapid city and start on the turkey hunting.

Tomfoolery

I drove 22 hours last time. Next time I'll fly into rapid city.

SD_smith

You can fish in just about every major creek in the hills! The rainbows are hard to come by outside of Spearfish Creek, but we catch tons of browns all around Hill City.

Crghss

Thanks SD_smith, where was your favorite fishing at? You fly fishing?

SD_smith

Beginner dry fly guy. I grew up in Florida using popping bugs for panfish and bass. Spearfish creek is wonderful, very small and full of fish. Rainbows in there with small browns and Brookies. The main creek through downtown hill City has some good size browns in it. Almost every decent sized creek will have brooks and browns. Downtown Rapid City has some decent trout along the creek. There's a big fly shop in Rapid City, call them and they can fill you in better. Like i said I'm a beginner.

Harty

Have a productive and safe trip Crghsss. Tell us about it please when you get Back. This trip is on my bucket list. Hope to do it in a few years

Crghss

You better believe I will. This site got me thinking about doing this trip, can't tell you fired up I am to do it.

Gobblerslobber

I drove 17hrs and will be driving it again the last week of April. There's nothing like a calm morning close to a Merriam roost. Good luck and let us know how it goes.

High plains drifter

That trip is still on my bucket list. I have scouted the black hills some in the summer.Goid looking turkey country.