OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: still quiet in cenral fl  (Read 1437 times)

Offline Beards n bbq

still quiet in cenral fl
« on: March 19, 2019, 12:29:26 PM »
had a chance to slip out before work this morning and head to the woods.  cool with a light rain.  not a  gobble to be heard.  still quiet after hearing a number of birds last week before season began. I saw quite a few hens scratching in the wet grass and woods but no male birds in tow.  i know birds are being killed in the area but has been a rough start.  may try to wait them out with some decoys in the morning and hope for a mid morning shot.  i thought cooler weather might make them a little frisky but maybe it shut them down or they are henned up. any thoughts?

Offline jrinny

Re: still quiet in cenral fl
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 01:00:30 PM »
We heard three to four birds this morning-( Flagner County). Ended up with two coming in on separate set-ups. I took the first one and my hunting buddy got the second.

Offline Beards n bbq

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:13:35 PM »
congratulations on the birds, i have been in west central florida, hernando and pasco county. 

Offline randy6471

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 07:14:10 PM »
  I’m hunting not too far north of you in Marion County and the gobbling hasn’t been great here either. We’ve taken two birds and called up some others, but honestly at least half of them came in without making a sound.

We moved in and set up on a roosted bird this morning that gobbled 1 time. When he flew down he walked about 75 yards right up to my buddy, but caught movement and spooked as my buddy tried to adjust his gun slightly for the shot. Yesterday we heard what we think was the same bird and he gobbled a total of 3 times on the roost, then nothing after fly down.

We know from our pre-season scouting that there’s a pretty good amount of birds on this property, so it’s just a matter of staying alert and be patient. Hope this helps.....good luck.

Offline Beards n bbq

« Reply #4 on: March 21, 2019, 12:53:32 PM »
Thanks for the info. out again yesterday and again nothing. hunting public and someone slipped in on my #2 site so i mainly scouted the rest of the morning

Offline Ahab

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2019, 06:20:44 PM »
Slow in NW FL also about like Y'all are describing I think we need a week of warm weather, less wind would help
a lot too.

Offline WV Flopper

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2019, 07:41:29 PM »
Shows how dumb a WV boy is! I was praying for cooler weather. Different region, little different behavior.  My turkey are not gobbling in 70 degree, high humidity mornings. Your saying it's better here?/
 First day at Green Swamp, guy said more gobbling reported today than any other so far.?
 I have hunted turkey 4 a while, I know that it can change at any day. The Green Swamp sucks. I am sorry if that is all that you have to hunt.

Offline Muzzy61

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2019, 08:50:42 PM »
Been quiet in north fla also. Gobbling on the roost and nothing once they hit the ground.
Print by Madison Cline, on Flickr

Offline Holtbensley

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2019, 10:06:51 AM »
I have been hunting in DeLand since 19th have yet to hear a gobble. Just trying to wait them out like I’m deer hunting seen birds just not close enough
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]

Offline TURKEYWHACKER

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2019, 09:02:06 PM »
Dad and I hunted 3 days starting with Saturdays opener and have only heard 6 gobbles total. Only two of those were late enough to be birds on the ground.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2019, 09:07:15 PM »
Heard a few gobbles on the wrong side of the river on opening weekend.  Too big to swim and no boat with us.  Plus my nephews were on that side (and on one of the birds we heard).  Must have been walking when he shot. 

We were in a spot I know has birds, plenty of sign, called up a couple hens, but nary a gobble. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Fdept56

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2019, 09:13:24 PM »
I’m in Sumter county on a special opp hunt and have yet to hear the first turkey sound on this place. Been here since Tuesday morning and have seen turkeys every day. Got extremely lucky and killed one on another tract of public this morning. Was the only gobbling we heard but he worked as good as you could ask for.

Offline Beards n bbq

« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2019, 10:37:33 AM »
Out again this morning and again no gobbling, chilly start, truck said 36 and foggy. Saw birds on the ground mid morning so I know they are in the area just quiet. I owl hooted mostly but threw a few calls as well with no response. Hoping something will change soon

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: March 23, 2019, 12:47:29 PM »
Son and nephew worked a bird today to 43 steps.  Both were using muzzleloaders and held off on the shot.  A little too far.  Heard 4 different birds this morning.  Tried to get around to the other three, but they had gone quiet and they could not get them talking again. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline Holtbensley

« Reply #14 on: March 23, 2019, 01:51:10 PM »
Took this morning off thinking about trying to strike up a mid day bird. Not sure what’s going on down here you drive past one property and you get multiple male birds together you drive to another farm and birds are with hens
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019 four time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

[/img]