OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Vortex Venom on my Versa Max  (Read 1238 times)

Offline uk.turkey.hunter

Vortex Venom on my Versa Max
« on: March 19, 2019, 10:52:27 AM »
So I've decided to mount a Vortex Venom Red Dot on my Versa Max. Can someone give me a quick run down on how to sight the thing in? I would like to pattern the gun out to either 60 or 70 yards.

Thanks

Offline bghunter777

Re: Vortex Venom on my Versa Max
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 12:06:58 PM »
use a very solid rest lead sled is what I use. Sight in with low brass bird shot at 15 yards get your gun hitting center with low brass you want it dead on not just close. Clean the gun and switch to your turkey loads move out to 30 make sure POI is on adjust if needed then continue to shoot at whatever distance you want.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 10:16:31 PM »
To make it easy on ya', get the gun securely rested, so it won't move easily.
Use cheap low brass as 777 said. I'd use it at 15, 30 and 40 yds.
Take your shot at 15 yds. Keep the gun in the position you shot from (don't move the gun). Look through the red dot/reflex sight and turn the adjustment dials until the dot lines up with the point of impact on your target. Shoot again to check point of impact.
Move target to 30 yds and repeat. Same at 40 yds. Don't worry if you think you're dialed in at 15 or 30 and find that you're off at 40. Find center of pattern and adjust as you did at 15 yds.
Now shoot your turkey load at 30 yds. You should be dead on or close. Make your adjustments if you're not.
Now check with turkey loads at 40 and adjust if necessary.
Last, check at 15 with turkey loads so you'll know what that looks like.
It seems like a little bit of a pain but it's actually pretty easy if you go about it methodically. That and you won't be sitting there slack jawed wondering how you could have missed that chip shot at that gobbler you had dead to rights...

Offline jryser

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 10:57:29 PM »
To make it easy on ya', get the gun securely rested, so it won't move easily.
Use cheap low brass as 777 said. I'd use it at 15, 30 and 40 yds.
Take your shot at 15 yds. Keep the gun in the position you shot from (don't move the gun). Look through the red dot/reflex sight and turn the adjustment dials until the dot lines up with the point of impact on your target. Shoot again to check point of impact.
Move target to 30 yds and repeat. Same at 40 yds. Don't worry if you think you're dialed in at 15 or 30 and find that you're off at 40. Find center of pattern and adjust as you did at 15 yds.
Now shoot your turkey load at 30 yds. You should be dead on or close. Make your adjustments if you're not.
Now check with turkey loads at 40 and adjust if necessary.
Last, check at 15 with turkey loads so you'll know what that looks like.
It seems like a little bit of a pain but it's actually pretty easy if you go about it methodically. That and you won't be sitting there slack jawed wondering how you could have missed that chip shot at that gobbler you had dead to rights...
This is one of the best patterning lessons I’ve seen. Thank u!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline uk.turkey.hunter

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 10:47:00 AM »
Thanks for the feedback!!!