OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: box call question  (Read 812 times)

Offline chufagold

box call question
« on: March 18, 2019, 08:52:47 PM »
If you run a box call to much by practicing can it become wore down enough that it doesn't play the way it once did?
Or change the sound?

Offline 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Re: box call question
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 08:58:44 PM »
not a good one, maybe you need to re chalk it or there maybe to much chalk on the rail, just buff the rail out.

Offline chufagold

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 09:15:13 PM »
it hasn't happened yet but I run it about 15 to 20 mins a day lately.. Just dont want it to haha

Online paboxcall

• Paintbrush Beard
  • That's this about that
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 09:21:05 PM »
Been running the same two short and long boxes about twenty years, and I to my ear they've gotten better with age.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:37:37 PM »
If you run a box call to much by practicing can it become wore down enough that it doesn't play the way it once did?
Or change the sound?

When hunting I keep plastic bags handy in case of rain. I am careful of where I set my calls down as the grass can be muddy or wet. Should a call get wet I stop hunting it until dry and the old chalk is removed and new applied. This will help preserve the sound.

During the off season clean and store in a place with as little temperature change as possible. Keep boxes dry and out of humidity both of which can effect sound. Always remember that box calls are generally made of wood which is like a sponge and can absorb water even tho treated.

Good maintenance is the key.

Simple but common steps that will give you years of use out of your box calls and maintain their sound.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Greg Massey

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 10:34:24 PM »
If they are good custom boxes , the more you play them the better they will get ... all boxes need breaking in to get that really good sound ....

Offline Gooserbat

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Achondroplasiaphobia is real.
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 11:07:09 PM »
short answer is no
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Offline Treerooster

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 11:42:08 PM »
Sometimes the screw that the paddle pivots on can change a little and it may need some adjustment now and then, but that is not very often. Over many years of use the hole in the paddle  that the screw is in can get worn too. If you do adjust the screw make sure you know where exactly where it was when you started, and only turn it 1/4 turn at a time one way or the other until it sounds right.

Moisture can influence how a box call sounds too. Very humid mornings/climate can vary the sound a bit on wooden calls from a very dry climate.

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 10:25:58 PM »
Box calls will "cure" and sound better as they age, generally. That and you wear them in to your playing style and to the way you tilt the lid, etc.
Usually, if they develop an "off" sound it's because someone handled the underside of the lid or the rails. That can ruin a call...

Offline shaman

• Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2019, 05:18:44 AM »
I've resurrected a few calls for friends. I've also made my own calls.

In one case, I had to rub denatured alcohol on the surfaces until whatever was on them came up on a paper towel.  It looked like somebody had sneezed on it, and then rubbed it in with a kleenex.

In another case, one side of the call had gone silent.  I gave a few passes over the top with 200 grit sandpaper and then used 400 and 600 grit to clean it up.  It sounded great after that.

Usually, the call just needs to be retuned.  A slight adjustment of the screw will usually do it. Treerooster's admonitions are correct.
Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Offline perrytrails

• Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2019, 08:29:09 AM »
Albert Paul use to have a good video on his website on how to care for your box call in the off season.