OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Roosting turkeys in the evening.  (Read 6471 times)

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
Re: Roosting turkeys in the evening.
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2019, 08:37:58 PM »
Owl hoot, goose call, gobble call, coyote call though I don’t like that one n perhaps best of all a fly up cackle
I don’t think I’ve ever heard a hen cackle when flying up. They’re usually quiet going back to roost and noisy in the morning coming off roost.

That said, a tom still may gobble at a cackle in the evening. It’s worth a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

They def cackle more coming down but even that isn’t an everytime occurrence. They do at times cackle up as well. Least where I live. It’s does work when nothing else does real often

Offline Plush

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 10:04:27 PM »
Whether or not hens actually cackle on a fly up is probably irrelevant. If they reply to it great, you get what you want. I don’t think it would have any negative effect on your next day hunt.

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 10:16:56 PM »
I have not had a bird gobble in the evening as long as I can remember. And I usually go out every night.

years ago I would hear them every night.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 10:22:02 PM »
Whether or not hens actually cackle on a fly up is probably irrelevant. If they reply to it great, you get what you want. I don’t think it would have any negative effect on your next day hunt.
I agree

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #19 on: March 21, 2019, 10:04:50 AM »
I agree as well

Offline appalachianstruttstopper

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 12:40:32 AM »
In my area evening gobbling pretty much is a thing of the past. 20 years ago it would sound like a turkey farm up in the mountains of VA. Back then I would blow a crow call and then owl hoot at dusk to hear them fire off at each other. If I found I was to close to the roosting site, it was gonna be a long wait and a dark path out.

Offline idratherb

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: March 22, 2019, 05:50:40 PM »
I swear turkeys around my area gobble a lot less then they used too whether evening or morning..

Offline turkaholic

• live to hunt hunt to live
« Reply #22 on: March 24, 2019, 07:48:32 AM »
Roosting ain’t roasting! I have had success roosting. Slipped in in the morning and herd them leave. Everything has to be just right for success. Had a bunch on roost last year got in in the dark did the quiet thing ,fly down with turkey wing ,scrapping on tree bark. Everything good and they gobble away leaving you. Out of desperation I hit my red wolf gobble tube. Turned around and came back. Got one!
live to hunt hunt to live