OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Roosting turkeys in the evening.  (Read 6913 times)

Offline JMcLeod

Roosting turkeys in the evening.
« on: March 18, 2019, 07:46:13 PM »
Do’s and dont’s just wanna hear what’s successful for other guys

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
Re: Roosting turkeys in the evening.
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 08:50:22 PM »
Do roost turkeys in the evening. Don't use a light when you go back in the next morning.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 09:44:39 PM »
The light thing is dead on. Leave it off. Don’t get near the birds too early. If they see ya they aren’t gobbling

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 10:41:51 PM »
I sneak in pitch black if I have roosted birds. I get really close that way. Mike

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 01:11:36 AM »
The light thing is dead on. Leave it off. Don’t get near the birds too early. If they see ya they aren’t gobbling
Bingo. Once I have them roosted, I wait until its completely dark if I am close to him to back out and then as others have stated, dont use a light in the morning.

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 07:11:24 AM »
How does a turkey see a green Streamlight beam if his head is tucked under his wing at 5:15 in the A.M.  :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 07:54:02 AM »
How does a turkey see a green Streamlight beam if his head is tucked under his wing at 5:15 in the A.M.  :firefighter:
You sure every stick you break makes no noise and doesn’t wake em up? Turkeys do awake at night, they can’t see your light unless they do but if you follow your light routine you will blow em eventually. It’s your hunt, do what you want

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 08:15:47 AM »
I'm not sure I understand the question correctly, but here's my take:

DO try to roost birds in the evening if at all possible,...unless you know where they are to begin with.
DO make sure you are trying to do it at the right time. 
DO feel free to use a locator call, but use the right kind and at the right time.
DO understand that if you do not use a locator call, a turkey will not gobble at it.
DO understand that, in some places, you are really handicapping yourself by not using a locator call.
DO understand that effective locator use is an art in itself and you have to learn to do it properly and with the right tool.

DON'T try to get too close to roosted turkeys once they are on the roost in the evening.
DON'T overdo the use of a locator.  Get them to gobble once, if possible, and stop. 
DON'T assume there are NO gobblers in an area if they do not gobble or respond to a locator.  Some places, gobblers rarely gobble in the evening.  Point:  know the tendencies of the gobblers in the area you are hunting.
DON'T assume there ARE gobblers in the area if they do not gobble to a locator.  Some places, gobblers will readily gobble to a locator in the evening, and in some places the gobblers are a LOONNGG way between.  Point: in some places, you are wasting your time if you hunt where you didn't hear any gobbling or get a gobbler to respond to a locator call the evening before.
DON'T use a locator call in areas where you know there are other hunters close by.  Be courteous to your fellow hunters.

Offline Takeaim1st

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 08:32:56 AM »
Not to change the OPs original question ( theme ). I would be interested in what methods folks use to get the gobbler that has just gone to roost to - sound off ( gobble ) ? What types of calls and/or what calls to make in order to get a response? Thanks

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 08:50:41 AM »
Owl hoot, goose call, gobble call, coyote call though I don’t like that one n perhaps best of all a fly up cackle

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2019, 03:57:13 PM »
Not to change the OPs original question ( theme ). I would be interested in what methods folks use to get the gobbler that has just gone to roost to - sound off ( gobble ) ? What types of calls and/or what calls to make in order to get a response? Thanks
I usually just walk the logging road in the evening and use my owl call. Once he gobbles, I stop and wait until total dark or back out right then depending on how close I am. On public people can be their own worst enemy when they sit there and keep them gobbling ( believe it or not but I have heard people just keep hitting the owl call to hear him gobble). Nothing like letting every Hunter know where he is too.

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 04:27:41 PM »
I listen in the mornin. Ive put em to bed and not hear them the next mornin. If undisturbed by hunters and the like turkeys will roost in the same area yr after yr. I kick out turkeys on the roost in the same area I hunt deer in and their there come spring gobbler season. Now u gotta figure out which way their going when they fly off the roost. Ive had gobblers gobbling at coyotes at 5:15 A.M. Just another way to locate gobblers I guess. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2019, 12:00:11 PM »
Their heads aren’t always tucked under their wing at 5:15 AM. They’re wary birds and I’ve heard them gobble that early before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #13 on: March 20, 2019, 12:01:47 PM »
Owl hoot, goose call, gobble call, coyote call though I don’t like that one n perhaps best of all a fly up cackle
I don’t think I’ve ever heard a hen cackle when flying up. They’re usually quiet going back to roost and noisy in the morning coming off roost.

That said, a tom still may gobble at a cackle in the evening. It’s worth a shot

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline Takeaim1st

« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2019, 07:57:58 PM »
I have only tried " roosting " one time. That was 26 years ago, I went along with my brother-in-law . I cut as loud as I could on an old HS Strut triple glass pot call. We waited until it was just getting dark. A gobbler answered the cutting. However we never heard anything the next morning. That was the last time for me.