OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Winchester SXP Patterning Results

Started by GillyLiller77, March 18, 2019, 02:36:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GillyLiller77

I patterned my new SXP this passed weekend and I had some confusing results. I patterned the gun with Winchester Longbeard XRs 3in 5s and 6s and 3 1/2 5s. The 3in 6s patterned the best but I still wasn't quite satisfied.  I had about 136 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. Honestly not that impressive with 6s. The 3in 5s shot okay but I didn't count the pellets since I knew it was nothing impressive, and the 3 1/2 5s patterned pretty bad honestly. I'm using an Indian Creek .665, and I thought the 3 1/2 5s were going to be the ticket. Anyone know what may be the problem?

limbhanger777

Interesting, I'm shooting a SX4 and I had about 164 pellets with the 3" #6's and 172 with the 3.5" #5 LBXR's with the stock factory extra full turkey (.670 caliper verified).  I ordered a JEBs HH .650 and have only fired one shot through it a 3" #6 LBXR and I had 202 pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards. These were all with temps around 30 degrees.

When I get some warmer weather I will try some 3.5" #5s and see what they do.

Also was you barrel fairly clean? Several guys have pasted on here that dirty barrels were their culprit for subpar patterns.

GillyLiller77

Yeah I did a basic cleaning of the barrel before shooting, but nothing over the top like polishing

GillyLiller77

Vinci1964

I have the sxp Turkey hunter edition. Used 3.5" LBXR #5 2 oz.  choke was a jebs 0.655".  I had 165 hits in the 10 ring.

I patterned a some other chokes and shells. It does not seem to be a real tight patterning gun and wonder if that is what you are seeing. But the gun does throw a consistent pattern.  Perhaps it could be the back bored technology Winchester claims. My son shoots an 870 with a 665 IC and it is a tighter pattern.

GillyLiller77

I had an interesting result from patterning it with a different choke this weekend. I purchased a Paternmaster Code Black and it's a more open construction (.675) The results were much better. This time I put 168 in a 10" circle at 40 yards with 3 1/2 number 5s. It also held a very killable pattern out to 60 which I am happy with.

Vinci1964