OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Pot call repair  (Read 1513 times)

Offline Brandon8807

Pot call repair
« on: March 18, 2019, 10:00:35 AM »
Hello all,

I recently ordered an aluminum pot call in wenge and padauk. Somewhere along the way whether in the mail or when the pot was made the pot cracked. It runs up both sides and all the way across the bottom. The guy that made it for me is sending me a replacement but told me to keep the original as well. What kind of glue would be best to use to try and keep the integrity of the pot as long as possible? I wasn't sure if I should use super glue or some kind of wood glue or what. I included a couple pictures but don't want to put the call makers name out there as I'm sure it was an accident and he was more than happy to take care of it.

Sent from my LG-H931 using Tapatalk

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Pot call repair
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 12:24:42 PM »
I think the only thing that will work it's way into a crack like that is thin super glue. Put painters tape along both sides of the crack to keep the glue off the rest of the pot. Work the glue into the crack, smooth it out and peel tape before the glue dries. Loc-tite 420 is another option but more expensive.

The attempt might be futile or it might work.

Offline Ol timer

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 01:15:45 PM »
Don’t do anything it will be fine. If it runs and sounds good hunt it.

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 02:00:08 PM »
Im sure the callmaker would be more than happy to fix it. I have no problems hunting a call like that if it sounds good but with that being said I would want it fixed in case it gets worse. Just my opinion.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 02:20:08 PM »
I think the only thing that will work it's way into a crack like that is thin super glue. Put painters tape along both sides of the crack to keep the glue off the rest of the pot. Work the glue into the crack, smooth it out and peel tape before the glue dries. Loc-tite 420 is another option but more expensive.

It will work!  Just don't use the tape.  You'll just end up gluing it to the surface.  Use a CA glue formulated for wood.  Don't buy the cheap single use tube.  I can send a pick of what I use if you like.  Wick it in the crack, and let it dry.  Don't use activator!  You may need to do several applications.  Once you have a small ridge built up, sand down carfully, starting with 320, and work up to 2000.  Then polish, or rub in oil.  Or whatever the guy used.  The CA I use has a 4000lb holding power.  I'd use the thin.  It will fill, but also leach into the surrounding wood.  The crack should be barely visable when done right, and will be stronger than the surrounding wood.

Offline Brandon8807

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 03:00:53 PM »
Im sure the callmaker would be more than happy to fix it. I have no problems hunting a call like that if it sounds good but with that being said I would want it fixed in case it gets worse. Just my opinion.
I'm not worried about him fixing it because he's sending me a whole new call. I'd like to fix this one to the best of my ability so I can pass it on to the youth hunter I take out this year.

Offline Brandon8807

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 03:03:46 PM »

It will work!  Just don't use the tape.  You'll just end up gluing it to the surface.  Use a CA glue formulated for wood.  Don't buy the cheap single use tube.  I can send a pick of what I use if you like.  Wick it in the crack, and let it dry.  Don't use activator!  You may need to do several applications.  Once you have a small ridge built up, sand down carfully, starting with 320, and work up to 2000.  Then polish, or rub in oil.  Or whatever the guy used.  The CA I use has a 4000lb holding power.  I'd use the thin.  It will fill, but also leach into the surrounding wood.  The crack should be barely visable when done right, and will be stronger than the surrounding wood.
That would be great! You can either pm me or post it on here, thanks!

Offline dwcim

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 07:27:12 PM »
Application of thin CA glue followed by an application of fine wood dust and another application of CA glue. The wood dust acts as a filler and the CA glue binds it together. Let it dry and sand with various grits of sandpaper to a fine finish.

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2019, 06:18:00 AM »
Don’t do anything it will be fine. If it runs and sounds good hunt it.
It should be fine. My daughter had a similar instance and the call sounds ok. Upside is that she got mad and started making her own calls, and they sound pretty darn good.  :funnyturkey:

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2019, 05:11:22 PM »
 This is the glue I use.  The one on the left is black.  Excellent for filling cracks, and giving
It a spaulted look.

I'm working on this one today.  Dyed Spaulted Maple.   Came across some small insignificant cracks.
Filled with black CA.

Sanded smooth.