OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: States ???  (Read 3222 times)

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
States ???
« on: March 18, 2019, 12:56:57 AM »
Just curious. If you could only hunt 2 states, what would they be??

Mine are below.

#1. Ohio
#2. NY

Love hunting the hardwood ridges. Having them gobble deep back in the woods where it just bounces of the ridge tops is awesome.

Offline kytrkyhntr

Re: States ???
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2019, 03:09:00 AM »
Kentucky and South Carolina, something about the hills and hardwoods of KY and the low country of South Carolina
don’t let the truth get in the way of a good story

Offline zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 06:38:23 AM »
Florida and Nebraska. All 3 sub species I have never hunted

Offline camotoe

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 06:41:34 AM »
Fla and Ohio , cypress swamps and hard woods . Flat land to the hills.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline guesswho

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Gobbler Goober
« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 06:53:06 AM »
Florida and Kentucky
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

Offline Chordeiles

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2019, 08:20:52 AM »
Virginia
West Virginia

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2019, 08:24:45 AM »
Black Hills South Dakota  South Carolina

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2019, 08:31:07 AM »
Wow,...tough question. 
Preface:  In an effort to be objective and unbiased, I will leave out my home state.  In addition, I have only hunted 10 states and Mexico, so I have somewhat limited personal experience to rely on,...so, much of my choosing is based on "here say" from others, many of them right here on O.G.

I would definitely choose a state with Eastern's as one of them.  That would probably be one of the upper Midwestern states, with Michigan or Wisconsin floating around in my feeble brain at the top of the Eastern list.  I haven't hunted either, but from what I hear, they are great places to turkey hunt.

The second state would probably be one with Rios.  Texas is an obvious choice, but the habits of the birds there have been so skewed by the entire "feeder" mentality, that it makes me shy away from that state.  I have hunted there a lot,...but it ain't real turkey huntin'.  Oklahoma would probably be my choice then, based on my experience there,...and also, there are true Eastern's in the southeast corner which would be the tie-breaker for me.

So what is my final speculative answer to the question when pinned down at the moment (and excluding New Mexico,...which would be way up at the top of the list, if included)?  .....Wisconsin and Oklahoma.  Throw out one of those to include NM,...then I would have to go with NM and WI.  "Final answer,...Lock it in, Regis"!...   

...But on tomorrow's game show, the second choice could change...  ;D

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 10:43:55 AM »
Wow,...tough question. 
Preface:  In an effort to be objective and unbiased, I will leave out my home state.  In addition, I have only hunted 10 states and Mexico, so I have somewhat limited personal experience to rely on,...so, much of my choosing is based on "here say" from others, many of them right here on O.G.

I would definitely choose a state with Eastern's as one of them.  That would probably be one of the upper Midwestern states, with Michigan or Wisconsin floating around in my feeble brain at the top of the Eastern list.  I haven't hunted either, but from what I hear, they are great places to turkey hunt.

The second state would probably be one with Rios.  Texas is an obvious choice, but the habits of the birds there have been so skewed by the entire "feeder" mentality, that it makes me shy away from that state.  I have hunted there a lot,...but it ain't real turkey huntin'.  Oklahoma would probably be my choice then, based on my experience there,...and also, there are true Eastern's in the southeast corner which would be the tie-breaker for me.

So what is my final speculative answer to the question when pinned down at the moment (and excluding New Mexico,...which would be way up at the top of the list, if included)?  .....Wisconsin and Oklahoma.  Throw out one of those to include NM,...then I would have to go with NM and WI.  "Final answer,...Lock it in, Regis"!...   

...But on tomorrow's game show, the second choice could change...  ;D

I too will omit my home state, Arkansas, both for lack of turkey  :angry9: and for the fun of the game.

I have yet to get a chance to grab my Merriam, so I will throw out SD for my first option.  Not just for the merriam, but also the complete terrain difference that I am typically accustom to.

Next, I would have to go with another culture shock, so I would probably go with FL.  I haven't made it down there at this point either.  Also, their season opens so early, it would be great to get boots on the ground in March like I did before work got all in the way.

Final: South Dakota and Florida.
This year is going to suck!!!

Offline dejake

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 11:29:10 AM »
Any two states that allow four birds

Offline dixiemagnum80

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 07:46:32 PM »
Missouri and the North Platte river bottom in western Nebraska

Offline BB30

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2019, 08:42:52 PM »
A tad biased but numero uno would be my home state of MS.

It’s a special place with quite a bit of turkey hunting history. You can find a little bit of everything from hard gobbling river bottom birds to gobblers in the pine plantation and hills of north east Ms. I love everything about hunting gobblers here from the liberal season and bag limit to the ample public land opportunities. I’m also of the belief that if you like to challenge yourself MS, Louisiana, and Alabama are the three states that you need to visit. Not a knock against other states but the wildness of our birds is incredible. Any turkey in any state can be downright difficult at times ours just seem to have an innate ability to kick your butt repeatedly.

My second place would be the black hills in Wyoming and SD. It is a beautiful place. And the turkeys are quite cooperative.

Out of the states I’ve hunted south Florida would probably be my third option. Just love the country down there.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2019, 08:47:37 PM »
California and Hawaii. Just two places I've never been that look like pretty places to hunt.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2019, 08:49:56 PM »
Nebraska and Arizona because I have never hunted either and I hunt Easterns every year so they are not on my bucket list.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Kytomgetter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2019, 08:55:13 PM »
Florida and New Mexico