turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

How many calls?

Started by DKG, March 17, 2019, 07:57:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DKG

Hi everyone, I have hunted turkeys before, but this will be my first season of really trying to get one. I have been told by some that you can get by with one call (box call in my case) and it has worked for them, but others have told me that I should have multiple (box, slate etc.). Should I be carrying multiple calls? 

spaightlabs

Man, you are asking the wrong crowd.  Most of these guys are gonna tell ya that if you don't have one pot call in every known species of wood along with every surface available ( I think there are just over 2.6 million possible combinations) you are poorly equipped.   :funnyturkey:

i always take 2 pot calls - one slat, one copper, 4 strikers and one box call along with 4 or 5 mouth calls. 

Pretty sure I've killed 90% of my birds with mouth calls the last 15 years...

Take whatever you are confident in.  Get proficient on what you hunt with. 

guesswho

Your better off with one that your good on than 10 that you struggle with.  But at the same time if your good on 10, I'd take 6-8.
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

sasquatch1

I carry mouth calls and one pot for purring on. Hardly ever pull the pot call out

Also keep a haint gobble call with me Incase I run across the need to use it. Only needed to once but it was exciting when I did, just didn't get to kill the bird but he came in mad!

SteelerFan

Quote from: guesswho on March 17, 2019, 09:29:32 PM
Your better off with one that your good on than 10 that you struggle with.  But at the same time if your good on 10, I'd take 6-8.

Yep.

Ctrize

You will go full circle where you carry every one just to make sure, then realize you only depend on a couple. I go with mouth call and a copper.

DKG

Thanks for the answers so far. I've gotten good with my box call and have been able to call birds in, but not get a shot. Only reason I asked is because I'd like to be as light as possible

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bobk

Quote from: guesswho on March 17, 2019, 09:29:32 PM

X2

Bowguy

You can absolutely get by with one call. Will you leave some birds there you mighta killed with other calls? Yes but as was said you should know how to run em. Start somewhere and really learn what you have, than add calls

spaightlabs

Quote from: DKG on March 18, 2019, 10:11:26 AM
Thanks for the answers so far. I've gotten good with my box call and have been able to call birds in, but not get a shot. Only reason I asked is because I'd like to be as light as possible

I generally try to not hunt if it is raining, but if you are so inclined, make sure that your box call will run wet, or spend a little time learning a diaphragm call. 

Bowguy

Quote from: spaightlabs on March 18, 2019, 02:33:21 PM
Quote from: DKG on March 18, 2019, 10:11:26 AM

I generally try to not hunt if it is raining, but if you are so inclined, make sure that your box call will run wet, or spend a little time learning a diaphragm call.
Your box call will never get wet if you put it n run it in a bread bag. Sounds don't change either

MK M GOBL

Nice thing about mouth calls is I carry a half dozen with me, light and take up virtually no room... Other than that I run a Slate call and have a glass call along too with 4 strikers. I can sound like a dozen plus birds like this.

MK M GOBL

Greg Massey

I think your cutting yourself short on just carrying one call, you never know on a given day , what the birds may respond to.... you may have to try several different calls to get that gobbler to fire off .. yes you can kill a bird with one call, but it may not be the call you have, so get yourself couple good boxes one of the boxes needs to be younger bird and the other one just plain nasty, couple pot calls slate and glass and couple good mouth calls ... get you good snakewood striker and diamond wood striker ...

tomstopper

1 of each:
glass
slate
short box
long box

nyhunter

To start the year when it's cooler and I can use my super elite 3 vest  I like to carry lot's of calls,  I carry 2 boxes, 2 pot's, 8-12 mouth call's "all in a small fishing lure box",  1 Tube call,   

By the end of the season when its warmer " I will refrain from say HOT her in NY"  and I wanna cut down on weight and stay cooler i carry 4 mouth calls, 1 tube call, and usually 1 box call .

If you can run only 1 call and sound good on it that'll be just fine.   If you get good at other type calls your gonna naturally wanna carry them and try to work a bird with them. 

Turkey hunters are very a divers bunch, Your gonna find guy's that carry 1 call 2 shells, wear no camo and kill their limit every year,    THEN your gonna find the guy the carries more calls than MIDWEST TURKEY CALLS, wears camo everything including socks and underwear and carries camo TP,   " I lean toward's this side" find what works for you and enjoy it.