Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Alabama success, 3rd times the charm.

Started by Roost 1, March 17, 2019, 01:49:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Roost 1

Weather was much better today. Low 40s but very little wind. Found this bird yesterday on a hardwood ridge and actually bumped the hens on top and as they ran down to the bottom this bird gobbled one time. Decided it might be best to just leave them alone and come back in the morning if no better option available. Found lots of tracks leading to a food plot on another place so my buddy decided he would hunt that spot this morning and I would go back to the hardwood ridge. Eased in well before daylight and set up in a blowdown I had marked yesterday.  He never gobbled but I heard birds fly down below me. Knowing their were a bunch of hens, I thought better of calling and decided to scratch in the leaves some. About 35-40 minutes after flydown I heard him spitting and drumming below the crest of the ridge so I scratched a few more times. Heard him drum twice more getting closer just as a hen popped over the ridge, then 2 more hens, 3 more hens and then i saw the top of his fan.. thank goodness for that blowdown and that I thought to mark the location. He strutted to about 35yds and never knew i was there. This was my 3rd trip to hunt Alabama, some of the toughest hunting I've ever done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

hookedspur

CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

GobbleNut

Congrats!  Good to see someone getting us rolling!

ThunderChickenHunter21

Heck yeah nice bird

snapper1982

ScottS

Congrats dude! Sounds like it was an awesome hunt

wvmntnhick

You're on the board tho man and we'll take it. Congrats bud.

whiskey

Congrats buddy! I'm headed down this weekend. Hope there's a bird hanging around.