OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey hunting near Naples, FL  (Read 1469 times)

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
Turkey hunting near Naples, FL
« on: March 17, 2019, 09:46:28 AM »
My family is going on a family vacation next spring to Naples. While we are there I could slip away from the family and maybe get a chance at an Osceola. Looking at the Florida state website there are a bunch of WMA's in that area. Has anyone hunted in that area much? I've been down there some and I know if you aren't actually there and can put eyes on that some areas may have lots of water on them. Any direction? I want to plan it out pretty good before I go.

rdjustham

Re: Turkey hunting near Naples, FL
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2019, 10:37:39 AM »
 I live just north of naples.  You either have to be drawn for one of the hunts in the wmas or hunt big cypress which is walk on.  Just need a hunting license, turkey tag and management area stamp.

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 01:39:59 PM »
Your first choice on the draw should Fishing eating Creek. A lot of competition with out any preference points.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2019, 01:41:50 PM »
Richloam use to offer a hunt open to public after the quota hunt.I do not know the time line.It is a big area but gets alot of pressure.

Offline Ctrize

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2019, 01:45:46 PM »
You will probably have to cross water to get off the beaten track.Also apply for one of the special draw hunts in your time frame.Its a long shot but worth the try.Write down the aplication dead line so you dont forget.

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2019, 01:50:20 PM »
Thanks for the tips. I'm coming to the realization that water will have to be dealt with. Is most of it shallow enough for chest waders or should I plan on a kayak or something?

rdjustham

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2019, 03:23:22 PM »
Youll be fine with waders.  The quota draws are in november, but if you check myfwc.com there may be redraws.  Rochloam is going to be a drive for sure.  May want to check dinner island, crew, ok slough those are going to be much closer.  Im sure there are a couple more in hendry/collier county that i am forgetting.

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2019, 03:45:33 PM »
Hate to be the bearer of bad news, but you will need several years worth of rejections and resultant preference points to have any chance at drawing a quota permit for areas in that part of the world. Fish eating Creek, Dinner Island, OK Slough, Babcock Ranch require a minimum of 4-5 points. Three points and you won’t even make it to the drawing the way they work it. Your best bet is to make friends with someone who draws a permit. He can take you as a guest. Next best is to put in for one of their few special opportunity hunts. I think it’s $5/application and you can submit an unlimited number of applications.  Even submitting 1 application gives you some (slim) chance of getting drawn. And, then there’s Big Cypress for those that are extra hardy or have a swamp buggy. Good luck!

Offline SD_smith

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2019, 12:19:48 AM »
South Florida hasn’t had any turkeys in years. Best to hit Richloam or Green Swamp.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2019, 05:38:10 AM »
Just a question about the draws in general. Can I just build points as a strategy to hunt say 5 years from now?  Or do I have to go through the draw process with and end up with a long shot at drawing?  I’m only familiar with big game draws out west and some states work one way and some the other. Thanks.

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2019, 06:03:56 AM »
Florida has a funny system. To build preference points you need to apply at least every two years but if you happen to pull a long shot can return it before the hunt date and get your points back.  Some guys make a living trying to game the quota system in Florida but it is fairer than it used to be.  If you are in good shape try Big Cypress just for the experience.  Don't let those panther, alligator, and python stories scare you????.  FWC's web site does explain the quota system but you'll need to dig for it. I left a lot out such as the difference between regular quotas and Special Opportunity quotas. Good luck.