OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

What should be my next pot call?

Started by valerio024, March 16, 2019, 09:41:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

valerio024

I have been trying to get some better pot calls. I have some big box store calls of a number of surfaces (aluminum, slate, acrylic,  glass, etc). My two glass calls include an H.S. Strut Black Widow and a Primos Bamboozled. Here are my better calls:

- Copper over Glass in Flamed Ash by Mike Yingling.
- Aluminum over Glass by Gooserbat
- Brass over Glass by Spring Fever Custom Calls

What surface do you all think would be a next good purchase? And if you have a favorite call maker I'm looking for suggestions. Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tennessee Lead

A good slate surface would be my pick.
Sneed Hot Hen or a Footballer Slate over Slate in Persimmon or Pecan would be a great start.

PEte_A

Halloran Crystal mistress or twisted sister would go well with what you already have.

HookedonHooks

Call up Lonzo and order you a green slate call. Ask what he thinks is currently his best combo, and he might have something available already made up.

Then call up Jimmy Schaffer and order a crystal call.

Wigsplitter

X2 on the Shaffer — he makes outstanding calls and is the best to deal with in my opinion . Very good guy. You won't be sorry

Tom Foolery

Yingling copper over slate in ash or Footballer slate

Or do what I did

Both

va longbeard

Twisted Sister and a good green slate Blackstone cherry or MAC walnut  (twisted sister no wait probably will be after the season on the other two but the wait wouldn't be that long).

Lonzo glass acrylic glass over glass or bulletwood glass over green slate (probably also after the season but not a long wait but he may have something on hand).  Midwest carries some of his calls.

KyScott

You definitely need a good slate to add to you're collection.

Brizendine1234

To me would be what catches my ear every ones ear is different

captpete

Like mentioned above...pick up a good slate. The list of good call makers is to long to list, but here are few I would look at. 
Strut Zone Game Calls...Paul(Bubba)Hicks Jr.(Daddy Rat here on OG). You can't go wrong with anything from Paul.
I have a Black Walnut slate over slate from Jimmy Schaffer....Oak Ridge Custom Calls, that just sings. He also makes a great crystal call.
Sycamore slate from Footballer(here on OG) is as good as many of the well known call makers.

sbbow

Daddy rat on here

1iagobblergetter

Quote from: sbbow on March 17, 2019, 08:56:55 AM
Daddy rat on here

I agree. I have a walnut green slate over glass from him that worked well for me last spring...Stumpys ceramic would be another good one for you to pick up,and also like someone else said a Halloran crystal mistress and or twisted sister.

MikeStaten

Not a big slate fan so i would look hard at a Lonzo glass in bullettree pot, Schaffer Mad Hen 1 crystal or dawkins plastic pot crystal.  Nathan Taylor crystal in zebrawood would be good too but he is not taking orders now. 

peak98

Lonnie Sneed hot hen slate and his Outlaw hen glass. Both are kill'n calls.
peak98
Your weapon sits on top of you shoulders, everything else is just equipment.

MDTOM84

Paul Hicks AKA Daddy Rat, his Walnut glass over glass is top shelf