OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Choke Recommendation for Savage 220

Started by TalknTurkey, March 16, 2019, 03:42:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TalknTurkey

Hi all, I am making the switch to a 20ga this year and would appreciate some recommendations on chokes. I have a Savage 220 on the way which comes with a 22" barrel. I am planning to try TSS #9 out of it.

I've wanted one of these 220's since I saw they were adding them to their regular line this year, but I have not been able to find them either at local shops or online. I finally came across one yesterday, but with turkey season right around the corner I'm running out of time to experiment with ammo/chokes. So any advice you can provide to get me to an optimal combo sooner is much appreciated, TIA!

Rapscallion Vermilion

I am very happy with the patterns I'm getting from an Indian Creek BDS .575. Call them directly to get the choke. The barrels on these guns are overbored, so you don't need a super tight choke. The patterns below are with 1 5/8 oz TSS #9,  40 yards,  circles are 10" and 15" diameter.  Outer counts of 55 and 56 are within the 20". 

TalknTurkey

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 16, 2019, 10:52:35 PM

I am very happy with the patterns I'm getting from an Indian Creek BDS .575. Call them directly to get the choke. The barrels on these guns are overbored, so you don't need a super tight choke. The patterns below are with 1 5/8 oz TSS #9,  40 yards,  circles are 10" and 15" diameter.  Outer counts of 55 and 56 are within the 20". 

Thanks for the info! Out of curiosity, did you try the factory full choke and if so, how did it pattern?

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Rapscallion Vermilion

No, I haven't tried the factory full but it could work just fine and certainly worth a try.  I've been very pleased with my Indian Creeks chokes in the past, so I started there.  I've also seen very nice patterns out of a Jebs .565 Headhunter, but they were tighter than I wanted.  A Trulock or Carlson's in .575 or .570 would be another great place to start and significantly less expensive.

TalknTurkey

Scratch that, I won't be using the #9's. I just checked our laws and we can't use anything over 7 1/2 in my state. So it looks like I'll be using the #7's instead.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I'd look for Heavyweight 7s or something like the new Kent TK7s before shooting TSS 7s, both are 15 g/cc shot.

TalknTurkey

Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 17, 2019, 10:02:53 PM
I'd look for Heavyweight 7s or something like the new Kent TK7s before shooting TSS 7s, both are 15 g/cc shot.

Thanks for the advice. Would you still recommend the same chokes with those loads?

Rapscallion Vermilion

Quote from: TalknTurkey on March 17, 2019, 10:16:30 PM
Quote from: Rapscallion Vermilion on March 17, 2019, 10:02:53 PM

Thanks for the advice. Would you still recommend the same chokes with those loads?
Yes, I would, and for HWT loads I would also suggest a Sumtoy choke, and don't use a ported choke if you happen to find any of the now discontinued Federal Heavyweights.  The flight control doesn't play well with ported chokes.