OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Birds aren’t gobbling, what do you do?  (Read 7022 times)

Online Turkeyman

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Birds aren’t gobbling, what do you do?
« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2019, 04:50:59 PM »
Well, I've always  called it "Walking and Calling", not "Running and Gunning"  as the younger generation likes to call it...less pizzazz I guess.  Been doing it for many years. So...if I hear nothing, and can't raise anything at my starting spot, I'm on my way. But I just sort of mosey along. If I get tired of walking I'll sit in a spot and call for awhile, at times. And this can pay off. Last year in MO I got a bit tired mid-morning and figured I'd sit for a spell. After calling for an hour or so, every 15 minutes, I got a response. While talking to him, three other toms started sounding off. One of them ended up getting a ride in my truck. You just never know.

Offline Chordeiles

« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2019, 12:30:08 AM »
Well, I've always  called it "Walking and Calling", not "Running and Gunning"  as the younger generation likes to call it...less pizzazz I guess.  Been doing it for many years. So...if I hear nothing, and can't raise anything at my starting spot, I'm on my way. But I just sort of mosey along. If I get tired of walking I'll sit in a spot and call for awhile, at times. And this can pay off. Last year in MO I got a bit tired mid-morning and figured I'd sit for a spell. After calling for an hour or so, every 15 minutes, I got a response. While talking to him, three other toms started sounding off. One of them ended up getting a ride in my truck. You just never know.
This pretty much sums up how I hunt also. The only time I’ll sit down is when  working a bird or I get tired of walking.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 11:56:58 AM »
Call and wait 30 minutes, if I’m sleepy I’ll take a nap, if nothings happening I move on to another area and try again. I’m not gonna camp out all day hoping a bird comes by. When I first started turkey hunting I’d sit the same spot for 3 hours after birds came off the roost and moved off into the woods. Over time I learned that was a waste of time, unless of course the warm sun and quiet woods calls for a nap, then I stay longer.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 11:57:48 AM »
I ain't the type to sit on my rear end wishin. Yes it sometimes pays off. Sometimes it dont. But I would rather scout new territory and gather Intel with the chance of finding a gobbler than sitting on my rear end learning nothing. Now I am not talking about running around scaring everything in creation. It's more a low key operation.
Exactly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline appalachianstruttstopper

« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2019, 01:00:00 AM »
Usually doze off if I'm not up walking and calling trying to strike a willing gobbler. Smaller properties, make a few calls every 10 or 15 min and hang around and see if one answers if I'm still awake. I've been woke up more than I care to mention by spitting and drumming. That's what 3rd shift and hunting every morning after work will get you lol.

Offline jims

« Reply #20 on: March 22, 2019, 09:16:23 PM »
Here in Colo where I hunt the turkeys (both hens and gobblers) are pretty much quiet all day long.  They quickly learn that if they make noise they get eaten by coyotes, bears, mtn lions, and bobcats.  It's a pain in the rear hunting mountain merriams in the trees.  When they are quiet it's a matter of covering LOTS of country to find the few birds that exist.  They don't tend to roost in the same trees and are often on the move.  It can get mighty frustrating....especially on high pressured public land!

Turkeys where I hunt in Nebraska are also quiet....for the same reason....coyotes!  The country I hunt in Nebraska is relatively open so birds are often a lot easier to spot and stalk...and often roost in the same trees.  If it's windy (which is around 90% of the time) they tend to hang out in sheltered draws where it's tougher locating them. 

With that said, it can be pretty tough if turkeys are quiet!

Offline EZ

• Double Beard
  • Gobble THIS!!!
« Reply #21 on: March 23, 2019, 06:52:37 AM »
Birds aren't gobbling, what do you do?

Pull out your Wingbone!!!

Offline Crghss

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2019, 07:33:35 PM »
Today I just walked around for miles, calling and scouting. Nothing.

Sometimes there is nothing you can do.
Time is the most valuable thing a man can spend. ...

Offline G squared 23

« Reply #23 on: March 23, 2019, 11:17:26 PM »
I tend to hunt very small acreage private land that I know very well. The birds don’t roost on the property, but toms will follow hens through, at some point, and they do it very frequently.  On these small pieces, the times I’ve tried walking around, I normally just end up spooking everything.  But if I sit the travel corridors or known strut zones long enough, I always see birds.  So if nothing is responding (which is frequently), then I hunker down and get real comfortable and wait them out. 

If I was hunting a new place, I’d be a bit more aggressive looking for fresh sign, and at least give me some place to start the next days.

Offline turkaholic

• live to hunt hunt to live
« Reply #24 on: March 24, 2019, 07:34:36 AM »
There are to many of those days it seems. I pay attention to things like crows going off. Crows have led me to birds. It’s definitely not a sure thing but worth a try. I remember a set up a few years ago. Thought we herd a gobble, moved towards set up soft calling and not a peep. After a hour of nothing we were  ready to move on. My brother took out his squeaky push button call and 5 birds all together ripped gobbles 50 yards away. That’s why before I move I always make a call. You never know
live to hunt hunt to live