turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

16 ga 870 Wingmaster-Full Choke Barrel

Started by SwampChickenSC, February 22, 2019, 03:12:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampChickenSC

Hey folks, my wife's grandfather just passed me down his 16 gauge wingmaster built in the 70's.  I love the gun and wouldn't mind rolling my own loads and killing some turkeys with it.  Current barrel is fixed Imp Cyl.   Anybody know where I can get a full choke barrel for this gun?  I'd prefer not to alter the barrel that came with it as I'd like to use it for dove shoots.  Any info would be greatly appreciated!
"some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

LaLongbeard

Hard to find a full choke barell. I looked for awhile only saw one or two on eBay and they had a rib which I didn't want so I ended up sending it to Sumtoy for a choke tube install. If you use flush fit tubes you can't tell it has been threaded and you can change chokes as needed. Back in the old days you had to have 3 or 4 barells to cover ducks, quail deer etc. reason they started making choke tubes. I wouldn't worry about hurting resell value Remington made millions of 870s   
Nothing beats the old Wingmasters and now that 16 gauge shells are easy to find the 16 is making a comeback
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

SwampChickenSC

Quote from: LaLongbeard on February 22, 2019, 08:30:43 PM
Hard to find a full choke barell. I looked for awhile only saw one or two on eBay and they had a rib which I didn't want so I ended up sending it to Sumtoy for a choke tube install. If you use flush fit tubes you can't tell it has been threaded and you can change chokes as needed. Back in the old days you had to have 3 or 4 barells to cover ducks, quail deer etc. reason they started making choke tubes. I wouldn't worry about hurting resell value Remington made millions of 870s   
Nothing beats the old Wingmasters and now that 16 gauge shells are easy to find the 16 is making a comeback

Thanks La!  Looks like Corson Barrels has one for the sale that I'm looking into.  If that doesn't work out then I'll most likely go the sumtoy route.
"some men are mere hunters, others are turkey hunters"-Archibald Rutledge

roverboy

I'm a fan of the 16 gauge too. Got a Win. 37 that I inherited from my father. Good luck finding a barrel.
Listen for the gobble