OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 567 Sumtoy choke with LongBeard or Heavyweight shells?  (Read 1348 times)

Offline ahfox16

567 Sumtoy choke with LongBeard or Heavyweight shells?
« on: March 15, 2019, 04:46:09 PM »
Anyone use it and how have the patterns looked?   PS. Getting close to hammer time in VA.

Offline huntinsomd

Re: 567 Sumtoy choke with LongBeard or Heavyweight shells?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 05:06:36 PM »
A couple years ago I made the switch to Long Beard shells and was very impressed with the patterns. I didn't want to jump on the Hevi whatever wagon because of the price. After sighting in my new Franchi last week with 3rd degree, HW, Federal TSS and Apex I wouldn't shoot anything else by choice other than shells loaded with TSS. The Apex shells are great and I plan on reloading my own TSS shells next year. The shells are expensive, but the average guy isn't going to shoot more than a few boxes sighting in their gun and on turkeys so I'm willing to pay for the difference in performance (a huge difference). Long Beards were the best lead shells that I tried, but there are other options these days.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2019, 07:43:40 PM »
A couple years ago I made the switch to Long Beard shells and was very impressed with the patterns. I didn't want to jump on the Hevi whatever wagon because of the price. After sighting in my new Franchi last week with 3rd degree, HW, Federal TSS and Apex I wouldn't shoot anything else by choice other than shells loaded with TSS. The Apex shells are great and I plan on reloading my own TSS shells next year. The shells are expensive, but the average guy isn't going to shoot more than a few boxes sighting in their gun and on turkeys so I'm willing to pay for the difference in performance (a huge difference). Long Beards were the best lead shells that I tried, but there are other options these days.

I agree about the TSS just finished patterning my 20 g and the pattern is much better than my 12 g in LB. Still I took my first slam with the 12 so am going to keep it as a back up LB and all.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline huntinsomd

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2019, 07:47:10 PM »
Both of my back-up guns are 12's loaded with Long Beard!

Offline ahfox16

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2019, 02:34:44 PM »
Well,  I took out the backup turkey gun today and it did ok with the Sumtoy .567 and Heavyweight 7's. (121 pellets in a 10" circle at lazered 40 yards).  However Heavyweight 6's were god awful.  No lie, 46 hits in a 10" circle and this was shooting off a lead slead.  Looked like the pattern was just sprayed.  I'm thinking over choked by have no idea.