OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Build Process Questions  (Read 3048 times)

Offline Josh_Alloy_Calls

Build Process Questions
« on: March 15, 2019, 02:47:00 PM »
I have a few questions regarding the actual assembly of pot calls.
Keep in mind that my pots are all machined aluminum, but the assembly process should be very similar, from what I have seen.
I am not looking for anyone's trade secrets, just looking for advice.

How do you guys typically clamp in your sound boards?
        I have built some fixtures to keep my sound boards centered up in my pots, and to keep clamping pressure consistent
        Instead of using clamps, I use 2-1/2 pound weight plates.
        I do the same thing on all of my calling surfaces.

I have read on here about giving the calling surfaces 1/4 turn prior to clamping.
        Do you guys do that on sound boards as well? 
        Is the purpose of that to simply ensure consistent glue coverage across the pedestals?

Do you normally use the same glue for the sound boards as you do with your calling surfaces?
        I have been experimenting with different adhesives (E -6000, Goop, Silicone, etc.) What type does everyone normally prefer (I know this is a preference
        type topic, due to all calls and all call makers being different).

I have been changing a BUNCH of stuff on my calls, and I am in the process of documenting everything.
I plan to put it all together to be posted on here.  If one other person can learn from my "research", that would be phenomenal.
Here is an example of what i have so far.
.125 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .150 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.1)
.125 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .200 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.2)
.125 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .250 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.3)
.1875 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .150 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.4)
.1875 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .200 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.5)
.1875 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .250 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.6)
.125 Bottom Thickness / .1875 Wall Thickness / .150 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.7)
.125 Bottom Thickness / .1875 Wall Thickness / .200 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.8 )
.125 Bottom Thickness / .1875 Wall Thickness / .250 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.9)
All of these calls are glued up with:
Glass/Slate
Aluminum/Glass
Green Slate/Glass
Glass/Carbon Fiber
Ceramic/Slate

If I don't like the sound after gluing up, I can simply toss them in a pot of boiling water to release the glue and recoup all the parts.

Thanks in advance!
Josh McDowell

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Build Process Questions
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2019, 09:42:06 PM »
I have a few questions regarding the actual assembly of pot calls.
Keep in mind that my pots are all machined aluminum, but the assembly process should be very similar, from what I have seen.
I am not looking for anyone's trade secrets, just looking for advice.

How do you guys typically clamp in your sound boards?
        I have built some fixtures to keep my sound boards centered up in my pots, and to keep clamping pressure consistent
        Instead of using clamps, I use 2-1/2 pound weight plates.
        I do the same thing on all of my calling surfaces.

I have read on here about giving the calling surfaces 1/4 turn prior to clamping.
        Do you guys do that on sound boards as well? 
        Is the purpose of that to simply ensure consistent glue coverage across the pedestals?

Do you normally use the same glue for the sound boards as you do with your calling surfaces?
        I have been experimenting with different adhesives (E -6000, Goop, Silicone, etc.) What type does everyone normally prefer (I know this is a preference
        type topic, due to all calls and all call makers being different).

I have been changing a BUNCH of stuff on my calls, and I am in the process of documenting everything.
I plan to put it all together to be posted on here.  If one other person can learn from my "research", that would be phenomenal.
Here is an example of what i have so far.
.125 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .150 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.1)
.125 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .200 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.2)
.125 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .250 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.3)
.1875 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .150 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.4)
.1875 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .200 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.5)
.1875 Bottom Thickness / .125 Wall Thickness / .250 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.6)
.125 Bottom Thickness / .1875 Wall Thickness / .150 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.7)
.125 Bottom Thickness / .1875 Wall Thickness / .200 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.8 )
.125 Bottom Thickness / .1875 Wall Thickness / .250 Sound Board Top to Bottom of Calling Surface (1.9)
All of these calls are glued up with:
Glass/Slate
Aluminum/Glass
Green Slate/Glass
Glass/Carbon Fiber
Ceramic/Slate

If I don't like the sound after gluing up, I can simply toss them in a pot of boiling water to release the glue and recoup all the parts.

Thanks in advance!
Josh McDowell
I use plumbers goop. It is important to buy the plumbers goop. That being said a lot of awesome call makers use e6000 and I plan to experiment with it some this summer probably.

The turn of the playing surface is to ensure an even distribution of the glue. I do not do it to my sound board pedestal, but my pedestal has sound channels cut into it so turning it wouldn't be productive.

I clamp mine when drying. I've talked to many makers that clamp with varying pressure and some that use weights, so this is something you just need to play with to determine what works for you.

As far as thicknesses that's also trial and error. I will tell you a contested argument is bottom thickness on 3.5 inch surface pots. I've noticed very little to no difference on 3.5 inch pots with some variation of the bottom and side walls to an extent. I've read some call makers claim they have even compared the sound electronically and there was literally no difference. BUT I've been told 3 inch calls do have a varying sound based on bottom thickness.

Hope some of this helped.

Corey

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2019, 02:04:00 PM »
The above advise is solid!  I would add, tho, if your not using g e6000, you should be. 
It comes in a tube that has a smaller neck, and is WAY easier to apply, and lay down a consistent bead.
It's holding power is as good, if not better than goop.  At least it as been.for me.  Good luck!

Offline southern_leo

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2019, 02:48:13 PM »
Yes plumber goop is a pain. I went to hobby lobby and bought some small bottles with narrow nozzles and use those to apply it. Otherwise you do get glue everywhere.

Sent from my SM-N920V using Tapatalk

Offline Josh_Alloy_Calls

« Reply #4 on: March 18, 2019, 09:43:35 PM »
I have been using 60ml syringes (like you give medicine to babies with), and luer lock tips.
I actually take the Goop tube, and sit it in front of a small space heater for a few minutes to warm it up.
This little bit of heat makes the adhesive more “fluid”, and it goes into the syringe much easier.  With some practice, you can get it with zero air bubbles.
If you attempt this, make sure you don’t USE the adhesive with it too warm. 

https://www.amazon.com/60ml-Sterile-Syringe-Only-Luer/dp/B07JZXSDVF/ref=mp_s_a_1_3?crid=1VATKZRFJ73FS&keywords=syringe+luer+lock&qid=1552959042&s=gateway&sprefix=syringe+luer&sr=8-3

https://www.amazon.com/Industrial-Unsterilized-Blunt-Dispensing-Needle/dp/B01EO5WBOY/ref=mp_s_a_1_9?keywords=syringe+luer+lock+tips&qid=1552959096&s=gateway&sr=8-9

I will definitely try to E-6000 to see how it holds up and sounds.   
I have taken calls glued up with goop, and thrown them in the freezer, and thrown them in small ovens at 150-170 degrees to make sure they last. 
Again, my calls are aluminum, so I want to make sure people don’t run into issues in extreme weather.
Thermal expansion can be a problem, but at the RELATIVELY small temperature changes, the expansion/contraction is not a problem. 

Thank you guys for the input!!
Josh

Offline TurkeyHunterML

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2019, 09:29:51 PM »
I use e600 as well. I hold to the idea of .25 bottom thickness on 3” pots.
Mike Lenga Calls (ML Calls)