only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Boom!

Started by harleytom, March 15, 2019, 10:24:07 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleytom

Story below

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Where to start, well I guess some backstory is necessary. Where I grew up in N. MS we had very few deer and no turkeys in the 70' and early '80s. I grew up chasing squirrels, quail and rabbits if I wanted to go hunting. My family has about 100 acres and over the past 3 years I've been working with my dad to provide some better habitat and making sure game populations can expand with selective food plots and clearings. This past winter I took my first deer and first buck on the property and made a goal to try to get a turkey this season. Due to the size of the property and hunting pressure from neighboring tracts I knew I had my work cut out for me. I've spent a lot of time the last 2 months monitoring numerous cameras to get a real read in the local flock and their habits and makeup. I ID'ed at least 4 gobblers and formulated a plan of attack. I slipped into my setup this morning 30 minutes before first light and just let opening morning unfold in all it's splendor. Unfortunately, I heard no gobbling and began to cold call with my TL Jones ceramic pot. I guess I'm a little off my game at this point as this bird came sneaking in silently around 9am. I was looking to my left and as I looked back he was directly in front of me at 10 yards moving right to left. Instinctively I moved my gun and of course Mr. Tom saw me and quickly turned and began to walk away from me. I panicked and took a hurried shot at him at 20 yards, I hit him but not enough to keep him from trying to get airborne. I composed a bit and squeezed off a better place shot at 35 yards and planted him without a twitch. As most of you know, 2018 was a special season of firsts for me and taking the first gobbler ever taken (at least as far as I know of, legally) on our family land is something that I cherish and will always remember. To see your hard work and diligence pay off is very rewarding and I hope it's the first of many successful hunts on this property. Wow, this room I'm in sure is dusty right now.

FullChoke

YEAH BABY! Way to bring the pain. Excellent start to your season here.

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

cramerhunts

Heck yeah that's awesome! Congratulations!

paintbrush

NICE! Congrats. Looking forward to your story.

xarcher

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

3bailey3

AWESOME!! congrats great story and hunt.

Hayudog

Congrats. Fun story too.

3seasons

Heck yeah congrats!!! Great start to your season.