OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Wooden Sound Boards  (Read 2257 times)

Offline NCSWAMPFOX

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Wooden Sound Boards
« on: March 14, 2019, 02:20:55 PM »
Looking through and playing calls last and realized some of my go to calls have wooden sound boards.
Of course I knew this all along but could pick up a distinct sound associated with it.
What are your thoughts on wooden boards and pot call surfaces above it?
Thanks

Offline NCSWAMPFOX

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
Re: Wooden Sound Boards
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 02:22:37 PM »
Also, talked with 2 friends that have numerous wooden boards in calls that felt like I did about sound qualities.

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 04:32:51 PM »
I love slates with wooden sound boards. Almost every slate that has a wooden sound board has "that" sound I like a slate to have. I also like glass/crystal over wooden sound boards but you don't see to many makers making them anymore. Paul Hicks is making me a glass over wooden sound board right now and I know it's going to sound great.

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 04:58:29 PM »
How many makers are making wood soundboards?

Lonnie Mabry, Ray Thompkins, Paul Platz (glass calls) Billy White are the only ones I have seen and played.

Could someone list some others from the pile of pots I have my impression is there not very common.

Online davisd9

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 05:09:37 PM »
I love slates with wooden sound boards. Almost every slate that has a wooden sound board has "that" sound I like a slate to have. I also like glass/crystal over wooden sound boards but you don't see to many makers making them anymore. Paul Hicks is making me a glass over wooden sound board right now and I know it's going to sound great.

Add slate over slate as well and I am right there with you. Do not care much for a slate/glass.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
“A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason.” - Rev Zach Farmer

Offline NCbowjunkie

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 05:11:27 PM »
I have made a good many that are slate over bamboo sound board , glass over bamboo and crystal over bamboo   Now bamboo is really not a wood it is in the grass family   But they all do have a great sound 

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 05:30:32 PM »

Lonnie Mabry, Ray Thompkins, Paul Platz (glass calls) Billy White are the only ones I have seen and played.

Could someone list some others from the pile of pots I have my impression is there not very common.
I wouldn't really say Paul Platz is using wooden sound boards, he has only made a hand few with wooden sound boards. He entered a awesome mulberry glass over mulberry veneer on aluminum at Nashville, it won 1st.

NeverRoosting

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 05:34:19 PM »

I wouldn't really say Paul Platz is using wooden sound boards, he has only made a hand few with wooden sound boards. He entered a awesome mulberry glass over mulberry veneer on aluminum at Nashville, it won 1st.

Yeah this is spot on, he's just putting a piece of veneer he makes on the glass or aluminum soundboard just like Gary does on his daybreaks.

Offline va longbeard

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 06:14:46 PM »

Yeah this is spot on, he's just putting a piece of veneer he makes on the glass or aluminum soundboard just like Gary does on his daybreaks.

Thanks for info didn’t know there was glass under the wood

Offline MDTOM84

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 06:19:58 PM »

Thanks for info didn’t know there was glass under the wood
I just asked Paul and he said "only a few" and he has them all but 1.

Offline BTH

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Proverbs 3:5-6. I like the snood!
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 06:33:51 PM »
SS calls has a version of the Crystal Heat that had/has a wood soundboard. Sounds fantastic to my ear.
Phil 4:13

Offline NCSWAMPFOX

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 07:04:05 PM »
Thanks for replies. Nice to get responses from 4 native Carolinians as well.
Brandon , our conversation this morning really got me thinking about it and has inspired me to do something about it.
I really want to try a Mabry in glass or slate with wooden board.

Offline ArkyRidgeRunna

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 07:16:09 PM »
I have a paul Hicks cedar slate over cherry soundboard that sounds just like a turkey. wish i knew how to send a soundfile

Online zelmo1

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Take a Newbie Hunting
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 07:36:49 PM »
I do a slate over a maple sound board in a wenge pot that “ talks turkey”. I have one in my vest

Offline yelpy

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 08:31:27 PM »
Cody makes em with wooden sound boards.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk