OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

New turkey gun; seeking advice

Started by strut_stopper, March 14, 2019, 05:31:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

strut_stopper

So I'm really torn between the new savage 212 turkey and the sx3/4 turkey models. I know the savage is going to pattern great, accustock, accurrigger, free floated fixed barrel. But something about the bolt action/rifle aspect of it doesn't feel right. I'm a little concerned about feeding shotgun shells in a bolt action, especially if I have to rack one fast. Sx3/4 on the other hand seems more right because its more of a "shotgun" if that makes any sense lol. It just seems like it fits the scene better somehow?

I have an Aimpoint for either because I have a problem with wanting just pull up and shoot on turkeys. I do a lot of wing shooting and I have trouble "aiming" a bead.

Any personally experiences that steered you one way or the other, please share!

limbhanger777

I've been very happy with my new SX4 so far. It is very nice to have a quick follow up shot when necessary. Also being a semi reduces felt recoil. I can't say much for the savage, but I agree that a bolt gun might feel a little funny in the turkey woods.
As far as patterning goes in the SX4, I just upgraded from the factory to a JEBs HH .650. And although my patterns were decent before, I had about 20% increase of pellets in a 10" circle at 40 yards with longbeard XR 3" #6s. However I have only shot once with the new choke and conditions were less than ideal, but I was still happy to put 202 pellets in a 10" circle given the circumstances.

KentuckyLB

I also shoot a SX4, very nice handling gun. I Run a Indian Creek 665 and Apex 2 1/2 straight 9`s .

lmbunch69

I deer hunt with a 220. Never had a problem getting another shell in quick. Only issue I have ever had is ejection, they might have fixed it with the newer 220s and 212s.

Rapscallion Vermilion

I have the 220 Turkey model.  Very pleased with it so far.  The trigger is excellent and easily adjusted. I also like the quiet top tang safety.  Bolt action and ejection are very smooth. The barrel is overbored and the finish on the bore is excellent and looks very uniform to my eye.  Patterns are very good.  I also like the ease and quiet of loading and unloading. The gun is very well balanced. Another thing that I find comforting, especially when traveling with the scope, is the ease of doing a quick check on the scope alignment by bore sighting.  All that said, a lot comes down to personal taste between those two guns. The aspects that I highlighted are things that were important to me.  You won't go wrong with either.

1 5/8 oz TSS #9,  40 yards,  circles are 10" and 15" diameter.  Outer counts of 55 and 56 are within the 20". 

strut_stopper

Well it's good to hear positive things about both! Thanks guys! Hopefully there's more good statements to come.

surehuntsalot

it's not the harvest,it's the chase

NYshotgunner

To me the Savage is a nice gun.........but of limited use, the SX3/SX4 is truly a general purpose shotgun.
"Don't go pokin' at it, don't over think it"
NRA Life Member, Veteran

strut_stopper

Quote from: NYshotgunner on March 18, 2019, 06:23:09 PM
To me the Savage is a nice gun.........but of limited use, the SX3/SX4 is truly a general purpose shotgun.

I agree, but I am looking for a dedicated turkey gun. I have a sx3 12ga that I use for an all around gun. And I do love it, it really is a good shooting gun. But for what I could buy an extra barrel for, shoot I might as well buy a new gun lol.

NYshotgunner

I hear what you are saying, the Savage has an MSRP $680 for the 20GA, I'm not sure of the SX barrel prices............no bad choice either way! Happy Shootin'
"Don't go pokin' at it, don't over think it"
NRA Life Member, Veteran

gobblers roost

Savage

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

TalknTurkey

Depending on when your season comes in, you might have a hard time getting one of the Savages in time. I've been trying to find one for weeks and no luck either locally or online. I had reached out to Savage to see what's going on. They finally got back with me yesterday and said they hope to start shipping out to distributors in 2 weeks.

So you could be looking at 3-4 weeks out before you can even get your hands on one, then still need time to pattern it. It makes no sense to me why they are waiting to ship them so late when seasons are already starting to open up.

gobblers roost

220T Looking for one  also, love my 220 rifled

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

strut_stopper

Quote from: TalknTurkey on March 19, 2019, 10:14:22 AM
Depending on when your season comes in, you might have a hard time getting one of the Savages in time. I've been trying to find one for weeks and no luck either locally or online. I had reached out to Savage to see what's going on. They finally got back with me yesterday and said they hope to start shipping out to distributors in 2 weeks.

So you could be looking at 3-4 weeks out before you can even get your hands on one, then still need time to pattern it. It makes no sense to me why they are waiting to ship them so late when seasons are already starting to open up.

I was told last week they should be to distributors late March. I'm betting neither of us talked to the same person either haha. But I did notice they're starting to show up online, basspro added them to the website a few days ago.

I never did understand why they do it either. It seems all the new turkey gear every year comes in by the skin of its teeth in time for season. I'll be heading to Kansas April 18th and then my Indiana season opens the 24th, we shall see what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed

TalknTurkey

Quote from: strut_stopper on March 20, 2019, 06:14:24 PM
Quote from: TalknTurkey on March 19, 2019, 10:14:22 AM

I was told last week they should be to distributors late March. I'm betting neither of us talked to the same person either haha. But I did notice they're starting to show up online, basspro added them to the website a few days ago.

I never did understand why they do it either. It seems all the new turkey gear every year comes in by the skin of its teeth in time for season. I'll be heading to Kansas April 18th and then my Indiana season opens the 24th, we shall see what happens. Keeping my fingers crossed

I got lucky and found one a few days ago, just picked it up today. It's a great looking gun, can't wait to shoot it. My optic for it should be here tomorrow and the weather is supposed to be decent so I should be able to shoot it this weekend. FYI for anyone that's interested in them, it comes from the factory with a Trulock .565 choke.

I'm in Indiana as well, the 24th can't get here soon enough. So ready to be back in the woods! Best of luck to you in both KS and IN!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk