OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: onX app  (Read 3170 times)

Offline BMAC_Turkeys

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
onX app
« on: March 13, 2019, 11:41:52 PM »
can you get just two states and be able to access all of the features or do you have to get the elite?

Offline charlesgoff71

Re: onX app
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2019, 12:44:11 AM »
You can buy 2 states

Sent from my SM-J727V using Tapatalk

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2019, 04:55:38 AM »
Or you can use Gaia GPS instead which is just as good for much cheaper.. ~$37 for a year subscription and you can access maps for all states

Offline Chordeiles

« Reply #3 on: March 14, 2019, 05:41:00 AM »
BaseMap is another option.($29.99/yr)

https://www.basemap.com

Offline WisTurk

• Southeast WI
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2019, 08:54:14 AM »

Have you used this one much?  I'm interested in an OnX/Basemap/Gaia type app, but not sure which one to get.  I know everyone knows about OnX simply because they market their product very well, but I've only recently have heard of the Basemap and Gaia options as well.  It would be great to have something as good as OnX at a fraction of the price.  Does anyone here have experience with the two newer ones?  Any feedback, both good and bad would be appreciated.

Offline Spurs

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2019, 09:04:22 AM »
Or you can use Gaia GPS instead which is just as good for much cheaper.. ~$37 for a year subscription and you can access maps for all states

That is what I use too.  The aerial sucks, but I use topos 90% of the time.  OnX is just too expensive IMO.
This year is going to suck!!!

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #6 on: March 14, 2019, 09:15:56 AM »
OnX typically runs a deal where with a promo code you can get 20% off.   

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2019, 09:35:53 AM »
I love OnX have the Elite version and find it near priceless for planning trips. if you hunt the same property over and over its way over kill but its a fantastic resource for those that like to travel/hunt and do a lot of public land ventures.

I don't know about the other mapping systems either but OnX has tons of trail systems marked on their public parks and gamelands I use those as a trail runner. I can pull up a public park ive never been to and map out a course and plan a run.
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline PharmHunter

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
« Reply #8 on: March 14, 2019, 09:51:58 AM »
Love OnX and the "Off Grid" feature allowing you to use downloaded maps even without any cell service is another great feature.

Offline ssramage

« Reply #9 on: March 14, 2019, 09:57:54 AM »
I love OnX have the Elite version and find it near priceless for planning trips. if you hunt the same property over and over its way over kill but its a fantastic resource for those that like to travel/hunt and do a lot of public land ventures.

I don't know about the other mapping systems either but OnX has tons of trail systems marked on their public parks and gamelands I use those as a trail runner. I can pull up a public park ive never been to and map out a course and plan a run.

I just got OnX a couple months ago and have used it way more than I thought I would.

My new hunting club is ~4000 acres, so I've used it quite a bit in scouting there. I've also used it a lot to plan for an upcoming public land hunt that I have with my dad and we've swapped spots back/forth. Another huge benefit to me is that 99% of the time, I hunt by myself. OnX makes it super convenient to share my location with my wife, as well as potential routes should I have an emergency.

Offline Bagg-it Tag-it

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: March 14, 2019, 10:33:59 AM »
What is the main use you guys that use these apps..use them for? Simply to know where the borders are of places you hunt? Does an app like onX take the place of GPS units?

Offline Ross R

« Reply #11 on: March 14, 2019, 10:44:06 AM »
I use the off grid maps a lot.  The cell service is spotty where I hunt and it kills my phone battery.  Especially important if we are out camping. 

Offline Chordeiles

« Reply #12 on: March 14, 2019, 11:01:18 AM »

Have you used this one much?  I'm interested in an OnX/Basemap/Gaia type app, but not sure which one to get.  I know everyone knows about OnX simply because they market their product very well, but I've only recently have heard of the Basemap and Gaia options as well.  It would be great to have something as good as OnX at a fraction of the price.  Does anyone here have experience with the two

newer ones?  Any feedback, both good and bad would be appreciated.

I’ve been using OnX for the past year. You can get a a free subscription to basemap, with just the basic features. I’m still messing with basemap and haven’t committed to the paid sub yet.
If we draw a tag to go out west this fall, I might go with the basemap.
If I only need a single state I’ll probably stick with OnX, to keep my stored waypoints.

Offline deerhunt1988

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #13 on: March 14, 2019, 11:03:10 AM »

That is what I use too.  The aerial sucks, but I use topos 90% of the time.  OnX is just too expensive IMO.

Have you tried to 'Satellite Topo (Feet)' layer? It has the newest imagery for me. The other aerial layers were several years old though.

Gaia also has 'Offline' use and a ton of other state specific maps. I've used OnX and prefer the Gaia maps.

Offline Chordeiles

« Reply #14 on: March 14, 2019, 11:23:23 AM »
What is the main use you guys that use these apps..use them for? Simply to know where the borders are of places you hunt? Does an app like onX take the place of GPS units?

Yes. OnX replaced my GPS. It does everything my GPS would do, plus property boundaries and property owners.
But my GPS was pretty much obsolete anyway.