OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

LB question

Started by longspur, March 13, 2019, 06:45:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

longspur

Is it normal to have a 50 count difference from one shell to the next. Not just two shots. 2 out of 5 had a low count.

SinGin

Maybe if ya flinched a time or two

coyote1

I wouldn't say normal. It could happen at 40 yards if the resin was broke in a shell or two.

longspur

Quote from: coyote1 on March 13, 2019, 11:21:23 PM
I wouldn't say normal. It could happen at 40 yards if the resin was broke in a shell or two.

Didn't think about that. They were older shells. I'm sure they have been dropped a few times. They used to say "keep your powder dry", now we say, don't break your shells.

zelmo1

Only lead I have shot in the last 5 years is Longbeard and they shot consistently well out of my Browning with a Patternmaster code black

coyote1

Quote from: longspur on March 14, 2019, 05:00:49 AM
Quote from: coyote1 on March 13, 2019, 11:21:23 PM

Didn't think about that. They were older shells. I'm sure they have been dropped a few times. They used to say "keep your powder dry", now we say, don't break your shells.

Dropping them will break the resin, ask me how I know. lol. You won't notice much difference at closer ranges with broken resin but it will show at 40+.

Yoder409

I've never dropped any of my LB's..............     I've never been ANYTHING but impressed and/or speechless.

What the LB can do, properly choked is mind boggling.
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

longspur

Quote from: Yoder409 on March 14, 2019, 10:26:54 PM
I've never dropped any of my LB's..............     I've never been ANYTHING but impressed and/or speechless.

What the LB can do, properly choked is mind boggling.

Yes they are impressive. I shouldn't have said low numbers. Just lower than the others. Lowest number was 179 at 40yds which is plenty and the inconsistency probably wasn't the shell's fault.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: SinGin on March 13, 2019, 10:36:38 PM

Been shooting LB since they came out. Heard about the resin breaking so threw several onto the ground and then shook them. I could hear the resin shifting inside. My finding was that there is a difference but only a small difference in shot pattern. I hunt shells where the resin is audible when the shell is shaken. In fact many not dropped or rattled have broken resin. This may occur during shipping.

One thing I have noticed is flinching or having a hard trigger may influence patterns. I am switching to a 20 g and Tss this season. My shotgun is a TC Pro Hunter 20g. This is the same gun/frame I use as a muzzle loader. It has a 2.5 lb trigger due to Kurt Bellum. This is a dream shooter compared to my BPS and its very heavy trigger.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

longspur

Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 18, 2019, 09:15:48 PM

Been shooting LB since they came out. Heard about the resin breaking so threw several onto the ground and then shook them. I could hear the resin shifting inside. My finding was that there is a difference but only a small difference in shot pattern. I hunt shells where the resin is audible when the shell is shaken. In fact many not dropped or rattled have broken resin. This may occur during shipping.

One thing I have noticed is flinching or having a hard trigger may influence patterns. I am switching to a 20 g and Tss this season. My shotgun is a TC Pro Hunter 20g. This is the same gun/frame I use as a muzzle loader. It has a 2.5 lb trigger due to Kurt Bellum. This is a dream shooter compared to my BPS and its very heavy trigger.

I don't understand how flinching could have anything to do with the pattern.  It is possible that some were 2oz. shot and some were 2 1/8oz. Since they don't mark the shell once it's out of the box there's no way to tell.

mtns2hunt

Quote from: longspur on March 19, 2019, 07:43:16 PM
Quote from: mtns2hunt on March 18, 2019, 09:15:48 PM

I don't understand how flinching could have anything to do with the pattern.  It is possible that some were 2oz. shot and some were 2 1/8oz. Since they don't mark the shell once it's out of the box there's no way to tell.

Not a pellet counter but have seen a lot of off center patterns from pulled shots some may have been due to flinching. Don't know the size of the target or back stop. I would agree that some could have been 2 oz or 2 1/8 which may have made a difference. At this point without more information its all speculation.
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.