North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Remington 11-87 SuperMag 3'' Standard Full Choke that came with gun

Started by TurkeyJoe, March 13, 2019, 11:27:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TurkeyJoe

Hi Guys,

So I'm starting my Turkey Hunting journey with an older 12 guage Remington 11-87 SuperMag 3".  My Dad gave me the chokes that came with the gun.  I have installed the Full choke and intend to go out and pattern the gun in the next few weeks.  My question is, can someone give me a good load or two to try with the set up mentioned above.  I'm not ready to jump into the custom chokes and  TSS loads.  I'd like to start slow with all of the gear and focus mainly on getting into the woods and getting experience messing up:)

Thanks very much!!

Joe

EZ

Joe,
I still hunt with my Remington 870 SP with fixed full choke, (no screw in choke). I bought this gun new in the mid 80's and have shot many different loads out of it. The best lead loads were Federal copper plated 4s and 5s, 2 oz. Recently, I've been shooting the Heavy Shot "Blend", 2 oz. and it is a true 50 yard gun(if I wanted it to be).
Good luck, you have a great gun.

kjnengr

I'm a fan of Hevi Shot in size 6 or 7. 

Try out the Winchester Longbeards as well. 

Let us know what you decide.

TurkeyJoe

Thanks Guys!!  I'll give some of these loads a shot and report back:)

trkehunr93

blake_08

As stated above, I'd give winchester longbeards a try. Easy to come by and they'll run you about $2 a shell for 3 inch. They're a great lead load and you shouldn't have a problem getting a good 40 yard pattern out of that gun. You might look into "deep cleaning" the barrel of your gun. It's practically free to do if you have basic gun cleaning supplies and it is something that truly helps mine and a lot of people's patterns. Good luck this spring but most of all, enjoy yourself.

TurkeyJoe

Hi Guys,

Just wanted to give an update on my 11-87.  I tried long beards and hevi 13 blended shot with factory full choke.  Both would have killed the Turkey at 30 yards.  However, I will go with Hevi-13 shells.  It was more than I originally wanted to spend but I'm glad I went for it.  The pattern at 30 yards was absolutely devastating to the Turkey.

Joe