OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How do you camouflage yourself when setting up on a bird  (Read 10097 times)

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: How do you camouflage yourself when setting up on a bird
« Reply #15 on: March 12, 2019, 08:29:26 PM »
Two things 1. Always setup in the shadows.  If you can, never have the sun in your face shining directly at you.  The sun will magnify any movement you make.  2. Always setup in brush against a tree if on the ground.  Any brush that is between you and the bird will help conceal you and breakup your outline.  Never setup right on the edge of a field or road.  Move off the field or road 5 to 10 yards for that natural camouflage.

Really useful advice. I hunt alot in the woods but have trouble with brush in front of me. Do you trim shooting lanes if you  have time? Thanks
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #16 on: March 12, 2019, 08:49:33 PM »
Two things 1. Always setup in the shadows.  If you can, never have the sun in your face shining directly at you.  The sun will magnify any movement you make.  2. Always setup in brush against a tree if on the ground.  Any brush that is between you and the bird will help conceal you and breakup your outline.  Never setup right on the edge of a field or road.  Move off the field or road 5 to 10 yards for that natural camouflage.

Really useful advice. I hunt alot in the woods but have trouble with brush in front of me. Do you trim shooting lanes if you  have time? Thanks

When you say trim brush if you have time what exactly do you mean? If it’s middle of the night and you have a bird roosted perhaps but if you’re running n gunning, do anything besides grab a quick tree if that bird is close and it’s guaranteed you’ll pay for that eventually trimming branches when a bird walks in. You don’t need it wide open

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #17 on: March 12, 2019, 08:57:51 PM »
I prefer to be sitting against a tree slightly wider than me.But I have shot them standing behind a tree, kneeling behind a tree, kneeling in the wide open and even laying prone. Trick is be set up to shoot as soon as you can get a positive ID when set up in a compromising position.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2019, 09:10:15 PM »

When you say trim brush if you have time what exactly do you mean? If it’s middle of the night and you have a bird roosted perhaps but if you’re running n gunning, do anything besides grab a quick tree if that bird is close and it’s guaranteed you’ll pay for that eventually trimming branches when a bird walks in. You don’t need it wide open

I should have been clearer. I do a lot of blind calling as I pull many of my birds from neighboring property. So I have time to set up and trim a few lanes if need be. I don't like shooting through a lot of brush. Missed a gobbler once. Shot a sapling clean in to - never seen it.

I am basically trying to improve my ground game without the use of a blind. I'm very mobile although after 10 am I will move into a blind.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2019, 09:33:51 PM »
I prefer to be sitting against a tree slightly wider than me.But I have shot them standing behind a tree, kneeling behind a tree, kneeling in the wide open and even laying prone. Trick is be set up to shoot as soon as you can get a positive ID when set up in a compromising position.

I understand sitting, standing or kneeling behind or in front of a tree: that's good advice. I've gleaned from this topic the importance of staying in the shade, having the sun at your back and a good back drop along with some cover such as brush in front if possible. A downed log or root ball with a slight hole is good cover and most importantly staying still. I also think using terrain such as where a turkey has to pop over a hill or rise is a good place for an ambush. Turkey is in range before he has a chance to see the hunter.

When concealing oneself at a fields edge it is important to sit back 5 to 10 feet to remain out of sight which will also conceal one from the suns direct light bu utilizing natural cover. I have just the spot in mind. One should always face West when possible with the sun behind you as its better to let the turkey have the sun in his eyes.

I also like the idea of building brush piles ahead of time in spots known to be turkey hot spots. I have several of those locations in mind and will build them next week.

I appreciate all the info and I think it will help me a lot. Now I need to put it all together. I have hunted Turkey in several states but these Eastern birds are very difficult at times especially when they have a bit of pressure. I'm sure this information is going to help a lot of other turkey hunters too.. Good luck to everyone this season.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #20 on: March 12, 2019, 09:35:51 PM »
Luckily in Florida we have a ton of Palmettos and cabbage palms nearby.

You're right! Hunted Florida last year. Much more cover than any where else I have hunted.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #21 on: March 12, 2019, 09:55:01 PM »

I should have been clearer. I do a lot of blind calling as I pull many of my birds from neighboring property. So I have time to set up and trim a few lanes if need be. I don't like shooting through a lot of brush. Missed a gobbler once. Shot a sapling clean in to - never seen it.

I am basically trying to improve my ground game without the use of a blind. I'm very mobile although after 10 am I will move into a blind.

In a situation where you really did have time it’d not hurt. Turkey don’t seem susceptible to anything slightly different but you can’t cut every sapling down between you n the expected path of bird. You should also realize you can overdue the camo n make things harder to shoot/swing a gun.
Some natural cover in front is great imo, it allows you to pick up gun, readjust, etc. I’d never want perfect shooting lanes. Most times spring birds are already in openinish cover anyway.
Don’t overthink this. Trees, rocks, tree tops, ridges are all gonna be obstacles but may offer a perfect chance to be ready like you wouldn’t be if it was wide open.
It sounds like I’m going back n forth perhaps that’s because every situation is different and there’s no substitute for experience. Some birds just get away. Being still is your best option and less may be more

Offline Chris O

• Double Beard
« Reply #22 on: March 13, 2019, 04:10:52 PM »
The best camo is remaining motionless if he can see you. Blinds and cover help but just be still, have a good backdrop and you should be good.
I agree I usually hunt thick enough areas to hide me

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Gobble!

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Raptor Killer
« Reply #23 on: March 13, 2019, 04:20:48 PM »
In the shade, back up against something be it a tree or brush, and if i have time I may clip a few branches or brush and shove them in the ground around me.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #24 on: March 13, 2019, 04:58:10 PM »
In the shade, back up against something be it a tree or brush, and if i have time I may clip a few branches or brush and shove them in the ground around me.

Thanks for the info. I actually used this technique in New Mexico and it worked well. I even had five deer within 15 feet. I appreciate everyone's input.  I will definitely be improving my ground game this season. It's a huge help having everyone explain and provide tips. Maybe this year its my turn to put one over on these pressured birds.

Offline Timmer

« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2019, 08:58:55 AM »
Good advice.  I'm a runner and gunner and I follow the big tree and shade advice where possible.  The one thing I'll add, that others may disagree with, is I like to have an opening in front of me but brush to my sides.  Roughly a 90 degree opening or a bit more.  Most of the time the turkeys are following the woods line when they are coming in.  The disadvantage is that you won't see the turkey until he's close, but that is true the other direction too. 
Timmer

All of the tools, some of the skills!

Offline mudbug_4

« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2019, 02:35:36 PM »
When I am hunting solo, I almost exclusively hunt without a blind. With kids, I tend to use the blind. Last year, however, I took a big ol' gobbler by slipping in before daylight and setting up out in the field I figured he would pitch down into. There were only a few isolated oak trees so I took some camo netting and a few green tomato stakes. I stuck the stakes into the ground at an angle and then I wrapped the netting around them using those new flexible rubberized "twist ties." It worked great and the whole thing is super easy to wrap up and carry around (lightweight, too).

Online bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2019, 05:21:09 PM »
You ask about trimming shooting lanes.  I carry a pair of pruners with me always.  I will sit down and see if I have areas that need trimming and trim accordingly, if I have time.  Most of the time, no lanes are cleared.  I will cut tops off very small saplings and brush.  Just enough to keep my outline broken up but able to see over.  Shadows, natural camouflage and keep my movement to a bare minimum is always BEST.

Online randy6471

« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2019, 07:38:57 PM »
  I totally agree with others about setting up in the shadows, against a large back drop, use some brush to break up your outline, etc. These are all great points, but if you are covered up in good camo, then I feel that your movement (or lack of) is by far the most important aspect. And it’s really not how much you move, as it is when you move and how fast you move.

Some turkey hunters say that you can’t move at all, that you need to sit as still as a statue, you can’t blink or you can’t even hardly breath when a turkey is in sight and that is just not true. Timing your movement to when when a turkeys line of sight to you is blocked by something or if the bird is in full strut and looking in the opposite direction is great, but you can also get away with a lot of movement even when a bird is in view, as long as your movement is very, very slow.

Offline Strutr

« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2019, 09:06:33 PM »
Setting up against a big tree and in shade is standard operating procedure.  I also like to use ground contour if possible so that when the bird comes into view, he's pretty close to being in gun range. That can apply to hilltops or any small rise in the land that you can put between you and the bird.  If he can view your position from a long distance, the more possibility that he might hang up if he sees your shape/movement or if he can't see the hen he's expecting.