OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How do you camouflage yourself when setting up on a bird  (Read 10092 times)

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
How do you camouflage yourself when setting up on a bird
« on: March 11, 2019, 08:33:42 PM »
I have have shot a couple of birds. I've leaned up against a tree, sat in a tree stand, used a blind and they all work to some degree. But the biggest problem I have is setting up and using natural camouflage. Do you build a blind from cut limbs, use the terrain to hide behind?

Looking for some fresh ideas!
Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline jryser

Re: How do you camouflage yourself when setting up on a bird
« Reply #1 on: March 11, 2019, 08:40:51 PM »
Watch Pinhoti Project on YouTube and also The Hunting Public!  Lots of great ideas there!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline rifleman

« Reply #2 on: March 11, 2019, 09:13:11 PM »
On the properties that I hunt I have hot spots that I always go to.  There I have built blinds from debris laying about against the biggest tree that suits the spot.  I usually refurbish them prior to the season when out listening.  If I am roaming and he gobbles nearby, I generally try to find a tree that is slightly bigger than my shoulder width and set down with him a little off to my left.  I don't use commercial blinds because I don't like carrying them in. 

Offline Cut N Run

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
  • North Carolina
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2019, 09:18:08 PM »
As I scout an area I'm always looking for downed trees, bigger than average trees, and holes from uprooted tree root balls that make ideal set ups.  Sometimes, you get all three from one tree. 

I dug some soil out from behind a limb pile after a part of the land at my old lease was logged.  It wasn't much cover, but it was in a shady spot up against a big tree that overlooked a logging road and loading deck they turkeys liked to use. There was literally no other place big enough to hide anywhere close. Many turkeys died there over the years.

Jim
Luck counts, good or bad.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2019, 09:22:47 PM »
On the properties that I hunt I have hot spots that I always go to.  There I have built blinds from debris laying about against the biggest tree that suits the spot.  I usually refurbish them prior to the season when out listening.  If I am roaming and he gobbles nearby, I generally try to find a tree that is slightly bigger than my shoulder width and set down with him a little off to my left.  I don't use commercial blinds because I don't like carrying them in.

Thanks for the info. I going to do what you describe build prepositioned blinds this year. I have hunted the same land for decades but got picked off twice last year once in a commercial blind.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: March 11, 2019, 09:40:35 PM »
Watch Pinhoti Project on YouTube and also The Hunting Public!  Lots of great ideas there!!!

Nice videos on here Thanks.

Offline jryser

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2019, 10:05:39 PM »

Nice videos on here Thanks.
Yessir!  You r welcome. I like to try and have the sun behind me. Also, using face mask and gloves is key.

Offline Curtdawg88

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 10:40:20 PM »
The best camo is remaining motionless if he can see you. Blinds and cover help but just be still, have a good backdrop and you should be good.

"Life is tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid."

Offline Kylongspur88

• Longbeard
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 07:16:16 AM »
Try to stay in the shadows and be still. I don't sit up high. Birds aren't like deer and will pick you out pretty easily from a stand. Stay low and stay still.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 07:33:36 AM »
I call it grab a tree. Just squat next to a larger, darker tree. Even if that’s not possible stay still. The birds won’t spook. For more camo a multiple trunked tree or something can’t hurt but it’s not necessary
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 08:44:51 PM by Bowguy »

Offline Ross R

« Reply #10 on: March 12, 2019, 08:16:15 AM »
Luckily in Florida we have a ton of Palmettos and cabbage palms nearby. 

Offline bbcoach

• Double Beard
« Reply #11 on: March 12, 2019, 08:28:03 AM »
Two things 1. Always setup in the shadows.  If you can, never have the sun in your face shining directly at you.  The sun will magnify any movement you make.  2. Always setup in brush against a tree if on the ground.  Any brush that is between you and the bird will help conceal you and breakup your outline.  Never setup right on the edge of a field or road.  Move off the field or road 5 to 10 yards for that natural camouflage.
« Last Edit: March 12, 2019, 01:29:44 PM by bbcoach »

Offline GobbleNut

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Southern New Mexico
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 08:37:41 AM »
Every situation is different based on the circumstances.  Sometimes you have lots of time to plan your set-up and can assess the conditions and available cover and act accordingly.  Sometimes that action means doing nothing more than choosing an existing, natural location,...and sometimes it means taking the time to adjust things to minimize your chance of being busted while maximizing your comfort and potential shot opportunities.

In those quick-setup situations, the old "back against a tree in the shade" is a good starting point.  Sometimes that is the best you can do and is in a lot of cases all that is needed.  However, getting stuck in that mind-set can also work against you in some instances.  There will be times when using less-orthodox set-up tactics are called for.

In recent years, I have found myself choosing to stand,...in good cover or behind a large tree,...rather than sit.  I also regularly choose to lie prone if the conditions call for it.  The point is, don't make the mistake of assuming that the "sit with my back against a tree trunk" is the best way to go.  Always consider the conditions and alternatives that will maximize your chances of success in every situation.

Offline catman529

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Run 'n Gunner
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2019, 10:52:42 AM »
It’s important to have more cover behind you than in front. You want to blend in to your surroundings, whatever they may be. A tree trunk that’s wider than your shoulders with some scrub brush in front of you is a good setup. So is a pile of briars or a blowdown. Keep the taller thicker cover behind you, and the shorter cover in front to conceal movement from your legs or shotgun.

One other thing that’s often overlooked is sun vs shade. On a sunny day you can hide a LOT better setting up in a shady spot vs out in direct sunlight. Even in the woods you want to pay attention to this. It’s even better when the bird has sun and you don’t. Think of standing in a sunny field looking into the woods and you see the shade under a small cedar tree. It looks almost black from your perspective because your eyes are adjusted to the bright light. It’s a lot easier to hide in something dark than out in the spotlight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2019, 08:26:05 PM »
Try to stay in the shadows and be still. I don't sit up high. Birds aren't like deer and will pick you out pretty easily from a stand. Stay low and stay still.

I think that's excellent advice about staying in the shadows. I strongly dislike being directly in the sun. I must say tho that I have had great success in tree stands for both turkey and deer. My stands are very well hidden: much like I am trying to accomplish on the ground. Thanks for your feedback.