OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How do you camouflage yourself when setting up on a bird  (Read 10094 times)

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: How do you camouflage yourself when setting up on a bird
« Reply #30 on: March 14, 2019, 09:51:02 PM »
Good stuff here. I agree that sitting next to a large tree in the shade is the way to go. But that's also how I am getting picked off. It usually occurs in early season when there is little foliage. This is the main reason I have asked for advice plus I am just curious how others do it. I like the idea of brushed in blinds: preferably next to a downed tree or a large tree a bit larger than one's shoulders.

I also like using the contours of the surrounding land. Especially rises where I may sit a decoy and the first opportunity the Gobbler has to see me is when he pokes his head up to look over the rise.

I carry a pair of hand shears to cut some brush out of the way but not too much. I do frequently sit back in the brush in such a manner that the Turkey cannot see me until he is close. 

The property I hunt consists of fields and bushy ravines with good timber growth.. There are plenty of hay roles to sit beside and behind too. So the possibilities are endless.

I will post any success I have on here during and after the season. Again I can't thank everyone enough for taking the time to answer my questions.

P.S. I did want to mention that I use shooting sticks to  minimize motion when sitting.

Everyone wants to be successful - some just need help.

Offline Happy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2019, 12:45:32 AM »
I am not as picky about being on the shade as some. By all means if practical I will use it. But it isn't a deal breaker to me. If I am in the right spot it's to late for the turkey anyways. I am fairly aggressive when I see what I perceive as an opportunity. And while agree that movement gets their attention quicker than anything, I disagree that you can't move on them. It is just knowing when to move and how to move.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

Offline TRG3

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2019, 12:24:04 AM »
This may sound simplistic, but by putting a camo-type screen or netting in front of you, your choice of what to wear is not that important because the turkey can't see beyond the screen/netting. In addition, your movements are not visible so that you can put down a slate/striker and pick up your shotgun without being seen, especially if you have a decoy that occupies the real bird's attention. Several times I've set up in a mowed grass field by leaning against a fence post with the camo screen in front of me along with a Funky Chicken decoy some 20 yards away. The incoming gobbler focused his attention on the decoy and didn't notice me at all. Sometimes you need to set up in a less-than-desirable place and the camo screen makes this possible.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #33 on: March 19, 2019, 09:24:45 PM »
This may sound simplistic, but by putting a camo-type screen or netting in front of you, your choice of what to wear is not that important because the turkey can't see beyond the screen/netting. In addition, your movements are not visible so that you can put down a slate/striker and pick up your shotgun without being seen, especially if you have a decoy that occupies the real bird's attention. Several times I've set up in a mowed grass field by leaning against a fence post with the camo screen in front of me along with a Funky Chicken decoy some 20 yards away. The incoming gobbler focused his attention on the decoy and didn't notice me at all. Sometimes you need to set up in a less-than-desirable place and the camo screen makes this possible.

Thanks for the info. Certainly worth a try. :OGani:

Offline turkaholic

• live to hunt hunt to live
« Reply #34 on: March 24, 2019, 08:19:12 AM »
I will add one thing here. Don’t blind yourself up to the point you can’t move around your tree. Many many times I’m all set gun up ready and the bird comes in from the opposite direction. I have slid around many a tree to get into the right position. Many others would not have the confidence to move like this. You need to make the move at the right time. I have on countless times had to change trees in the middle of the fight just to be able to get a chance at a bird. Many times I have looked back on my successes and realized if I didn’t move forward I would have just watched another long beard walk away. If you think you need to move, don’t wait or it’s to late. Do or die. Every time it will be different. That’s why I love it so much.
live to hunt hunt to live

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2019, 07:45:30 PM »
I will add one thing here. Don’t blind yourself up to the point you can’t move around your tree. Many many times I’m all set gun up ready and the bird comes in from the opposite direction. I have slid around many a tree to get into the right position. Many others would not have the confidence to move like this. You need to make the move at the right time. I have on countless times had to change trees in the middle of the fight just to be able to get a chance at a bird. Many times I have looked back on my successes and realized if I didn’t move forward I would have just watched another long beard walk away. If you think you need to move, don’t wait or it’s to late. Do or die. Every time it will be different. That’s why I love it so much.

Had that experience once. Bird kept circling just out of sight twice and the headed down hill toward the creek. Fortunately another bird gobbled about 80 yards away and the first turned around and walked by me at 30 yards. He did not make it to far and I went around the tree twice.

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #36 on: March 26, 2019, 01:42:46 AM »
  Always consider the conditions and alternatives that will maximize your chances of success in every situation.
Well said...

Adapting to the situation is the key to success of the guys I know who consistently put game on the table (whether it be turkeys, ducks, or deer).

If I am running and gunning, and hear a gobble, I will look at the most advantageous spot to sit comfortably and hidden.  I would rather hide behind a rock I can rest my gun on, than in front of a tree I can lean against.  But, if the tree offers the better position, I will take the tree.

If I am walking across a meadow or pasture and hear a bird gobble over a knoll that is close, I will lie down prone.

If I have birds gobble just the other side of a ridge I am near, I will quickly attempt to calculate if I can get to that ridge, or at least get within shooting range of the skyline of the ridge.  My calculations have been known to be incorrect.

And yeah...  Sometimes standing up will give you an opportunity that sitting will not.  I have had multiple birds that were in range, that I simply could have stood up and shot at...  Instead they walked away, while I attempted feverishly to call them back.
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline ggrue

« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2019, 05:43:54 AM »
I have used a ghille suit with some success, but mine is rather green and hard to use IMO in the early season or when the spring is late.  Maybe they can't see as much green as I can in it. 

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2019, 12:49:20 PM »
I have used a ghille suit with some success, but mine is rather green and hard to use IMO in the early season or when the spring is late.  Maybe they can't see as much green as I can in it.

Had been considering a gillie suit. However, I fight briers all the time and I would be constantly untangling myself.

Offline ggrue

« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2019, 01:16:30 PM »
Yeah I might keep mine in the back of my turkey vest and just use the jacket on setups.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline brettdunn7

« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2019, 04:04:46 PM »
Typically low to ground and with some back cover and some way to cut shadows. Well that’s the strategy I will use this year for my first year. Will see how it goes.

Offline mtns2hunt

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2019, 07:05:16 PM »
Typically low to ground and with some back cover and some way to cut shadows. Well that’s the strategy I will use this year for my first year. Will see how it goes.

There is some really good advice in this post. I would write it down as it is a lot to remember and try the suggestions. That is what I am doing. I started this post by asking for advice to improve my ground game. I do a lot of running and gunning but still get picked off occasionally. I have been busted by Turkeys and especially coyotes. I am not new to turkey hunting but there is always something new to learn. Another way I learn is by reading all the old posts even tho some go back three years or more. Good luck this year!

Offline Dtrkyman

• Double Beard
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2019, 10:45:38 PM »
I usually only get creative with hiding my set up when I am cold calling, if I am working a vocal bird I pick the best tree in the spot I feel I can call a bird into.

I am not saying not to worry about it but I rely on large trees shadows and being still!