OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

How many Longbeard on 3500 acres

Started by macobb, March 28, 2019, 10:10:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

macobb

I hunt in Coosa County AL. Our Turkey report estimates 6-15 birds per square mile. I am curious how many gobblers are on 3,500 acres. Our club has harvested 9 birds already. Is that going to kill my chances of harvesting a bird? Just not sure if there are going to be any left to hunt. Our season opened March 16th. Of course the club told me I'd be the 3rd Turkey hunter joining the club and that they only had hunters show up on the weekends last year
Always wondering wether or not to give a cluck

compton30

3500 acres is almost 5.5 square miles. So if the math is linear, which in real life it usually isnt, you'd be looking at 33-82.5 birds on your property.

Tomfoolery

Id say if 9 toms were already harvested then theres at least 3 times that many.

LaLongbeard

The figures I've seen say 1 turkey per 50 acres on good habitat,half of which will be hens and roughly half the Gobblers will be jakes. Really only one way to find out
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

fallhnt

30 birds per 1000 acres of good habitat. 1/3 approximately longbeards.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

catman529

You should have a few toms left but I wouldn't kill too many more.

Don't worry about the numbers or math but rather go out and scout and see how much sign you can find and how many birds you can see. If you see a lot of sign and turkeys then go kill a couple, if you don't see much then leave them for seed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

RutnNStrutn

It all depends on the land. I hunt on 3 tracts in SC. One of them, a 190 acre tract has multiple gobblers on it every year. In the winter flocks, we counted up to 13 longbeards together. That's one longbeard per 14.6 acres. I think it depends on what your land has to offer compared to surrounding lands, predators and general turkey population in the area.