OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fixed choke shotguns

Started by shatcher, February 04, 2021, 02:27:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shatcher

Just curious, what is your favorite fixed choke shotgun?  This is similar to the old school topic already posted.  But, what the heck.

ChesterCopperpot

Fixed full nickel steel 20ga Model 12.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

paboxcall

Fox Sterlingworth 12 gauge SxS fixed and modified.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

shatcher

Quote from: paboxcall on February 04, 2021, 02:59:37 PM
I had one full and extra full with ejectors, 2 3/4 chambers.  As the George Jones song goes 'the man down at the bank took her from me' (sold it to a banker).  It patterned the Federal 1 5/8 ounce 6 shot very well.  Should have kept it.

paboxcall

Quote from: shatcher on February 04, 2021, 04:47:56 PM
I had one full and extra full with ejectors, 2 3/4 chambers.  As the George Jones song goes 'the man down at the bank took her from me' (sold it to a banker).  It patterned the Federal 1 5/8 ounce 6 shot very well.  Should have kept it.

The old Fox doubles are special guns. This one isn't fancy, but it locks up nice and a work horse. My other fav fixed choke is the old JC Higgins 12 gauge pump choked modified I received when I was a kid. That gun covered a lot of miles over the years chasing small game. Only sees daylight when I uncase it to oil and inspect.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Greg Massey

I have 2 - Browning Belgium 20 ga. gold trigger with full choke barrel and Browning A5 - 12 ga. with 32 inch barrel. This old Browning A5 long barrel was my first auto 12 ga for both duck and turkey hunting. You could paddle your boat it's so long of a gun...LOL..

crow

Did you ever pattern it at 40yds to see what it would do for head neck shots?
That would match up nicely with your Permar 1930

I kick myself in the buttocks weekly for passing on an xtra full/full last year, some times daily when I can remember to do it.

paboxcall

No, never did. Barrels way too long for my liking for hunkering up against a tree. Did spend a lot of time in the dove fields years ago. Those Fox guns were some of the best field guns.

Quote from: crow on February 04, 2021, 10:55:01 PM

Did you ever pattern it at 40yds to see what it would do for head neck shots?
That would match up nicely with your Permar 1930

I kick myself in the buttocks weekly for passing on an xtra full/full last year, some times daily when I can remember to do it.

Man that would ma

crow

Quote from: paboxcall on February 04, 2021, 11:05:15 PM
No, never did. Barrels way too long for my liking for hunkering up against a tree. Did spend a lot of time in the dove fields years ago. Those Fox guns were some of the best field guns.

They sure are, I hunted mostly with an old Fox growing up, really liked that gun.

That old hammer gun I sometimes hunt with has 32" barrels, most of the time it's not a problem,
I do notice trees when using the 44" barrel flinter,  :boon:

paboxcall

44"? When I bought my 1300 it came with either a 22" barrel or a 18.5" barrel. I opted for the 22" and first time I sat down on a turkey I wished I got the shorter barrel LOL. 22" was too long!

Hoot 000

Browning A5 lite 12 guage 30" full choke ,killin machine   :fud:

WildTigerTrout

Vintage (1959) Winchester Model 12 Field Grade 12 Ga. 28" barrel modified choke. This is my all purpose upland game shotgun.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

shatcher

What's the range on that modified?

Swampchickin234

Remington 870 wingmaster fixed full with battle scars!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Gobbler428

Browning A5, modified with a 28 inch plain barrel. This was my first shotgun. My uncle worked in a hardware store in Siler City, NC and he got the "employee discount" for me. If memory serves me correctly, I think I paid $150 for it. Mowed grass all summer that year to pay for it. Used it on everything, small game mostly i.e. quail, rabbits, dove etc. Wore most of the gold plate off the trigger.