OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Carlson’s .575 Turkey Choke  (Read 6513 times)

Offline michiganoutdoorsman

Carlson’s .575 Turkey Choke
« on: March 10, 2019, 01:05:42 AM »
I’ve read many good things about them. Just bought an Affinity 20 gauge and have the Carlson’s .575 on the way. I’m planning on running the Browning tss out of it. Anyone know if that choke can have tss ran through it? I probably should’ve looked deeper into it before I bought it. Also throwing a vortex venom on the gun, can’t wait for turkeys this spring!!

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
Re: Carlson’s .575 Turkey Choke
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 07:49:36 AM »
There’s a heap pile of those chokes running TSS out there.

You’ll be fine.

Online Jroddc

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 07:52:38 AM »
The one I purchased recently said it was for use with tss right on the package

Offline HiIlbilly

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 08:25:28 AM »
I sure hope so. We've been sending TSS through the ones we have.

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Offline Breddleman34

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 11:11:51 AM »
Great choice michiganoutdoorsmen, .575 is a great choice. I have shot my affinity with a carlson longbeard XR (which is a .568) and it patterns XRs and TSS very, very good. As a rule of thumb, and you can ask any of these choke tube manufacturers and they can confirm, more open chokes, i.e. .565s and .570s perform better with TSS or tungsten alloy loads. On the other hand, .555s and .560s usually perform better with standard lead (because lead is softer and takes constriction better). This is, again, a rule of thumb. Not saying a .555 wont pattern TSS well (because I have seen some of these guys' patterns!) and .570s wont pattern lead well. Hope this helps, make em flop!

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 12:20:54 PM »
Thanks for the replies everyone! Hoping it throws a nice pattern. If not I’ll keep searching. I’m confident it’ll do the job though.

Offline Spurs Up

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 04:43:02 PM »
No worries. That’s a great combo. I haven’t shot Browning’s TSS through mine but plenty of handloads during the last 3-4 years thru my Affinity/Carlson 575.

Offline PineyRooster

« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2019, 01:21:05 AM »
I’ve read many good things about them. Just bought an Affinity 20 gauge and have the Carlson’s .575 on the way. I’m planning on running the Browning tss out of it. Anyone know if that choke can have tss ran through it? I probably should’ve looked deeper into it before I bought it. Also throwing a vortex venom on the gun, can’t wait for turkeys this spring!!

I purchased one recently for my affinity.. i dont know about the browning tss but i shot an apex 3" 1 5/8 oz #8 load at 20 yards somewhat expecting at least a basketball size pattern. Man was i suprised when i saw shot scattered all over the 36"x36" piece of cardboard. The gun had previously been deep cleaned and swabbed clean with alcohol and was shiny a bore as could be... now the longbeard 5s i shot through it at 20 yards looked excellent but too sparse for me at 40 yards. called sumtoy and will have one of his chokes on the way to see if i can get some good huntable patterns out of it. Not trying to discourage you as many have found the calson to work just fine just wanted to share my personal experience.

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
« Reply #8 on: March 12, 2019, 09:11:00 AM »
Here's a pattern picture of Apex #9's out of a Carlson .575 at a lasered 40 yards.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

« Reply #9 on: March 12, 2019, 02:01:52 PM »
That is a dead turkey right there! I love it!

Offline SoDak_JD

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2019, 04:20:51 AM »
It's already been answered but I'll throw in what came directly from Carlson's in a similar search.

I'm also looking for a 20ga choke but am running an 870.  I messaged Carlson's because I want to use the Federal 3rd Degree but will probably give the Heavyweight TSS a try at some point.  I asked if I should get the TSS choke or the .575

Here's their reply:

I would not run the tss choke with 3rd degree, I would run the .565 or .575 extended choke tube (you can also run tss out of both of those)

Offline TalknTurkey

« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2019, 06:26:25 PM »
It's already been answered but I'll throw in what came directly from Carlson's in a similar search.

I'm also looking for a 20ga choke but am running an 870.  I messaged Carlson's because I want to use the Federal 3rd Degree but will probably give the Heavyweight TSS a try at some point.  I asked if I should get the TSS choke or the .575

Here's their reply:

I would not run the tss choke with 3rd degree, I would run the .565 or .575 extended choke tube (you can also run tss out of both of those)

I’m confused. I’ve been reading through a lot of threads on here regarding choke recommendations for TSS. Everyone seems to recommend a tighter constriction (except for the IC). However, the specific “TSS” versions of chokes are around .555. Just like the Carlsons or Trulock, I’ve seen a lot of people recommend the .575, but I’ve yet to see anyone recommend what they call their “TSS” choke which is .555. Why is this?!

Offline Terry

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2019, 07:18:35 PM »
I think the tighter choke is for Federal TSS loads. The more open Carlson's is for hand loads. I could be mistaken

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

Offline TalknTurkey

Carlson’s .575 Turkey Choke
« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2019, 07:55:25 PM »
I think the tighter choke is for Federal TSS loads. The more open Carlson's is for hand loads. I could be mistaken

Sent from my E6810 using Tapatalk

On Trulocks site, they say they developed them specifically for the federal rounds. They even have the chokes named “Trulock Federal TSS” lol...yet they are .555/.560...but I’ve seen several recommendations for the Trulocks .585 for the TSS on here