OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: With a little help from man’s best friend  (Read 2469 times)

Offline Duckdogdad

With a little help from man’s best friend
« on: March 09, 2019, 01:40:36 PM »
Hunting on a friend’s property about 25 years ago. Two gobblers were on the ground walking away from me. They got into a bottom and began strutting and gobbling. I decided to get on the other side of them in hopes of a change of luck. After a 45 minute walk, I set up on the other side when I heard a dog bark in the direction of the birds. Next thing I hear is what sounds like a race horse running through the woods. Much to my surprise a 25 pound gobbler, with an 11.5 inch beard is standing 15 yards from me. I’ll let you guess how this story ended.

Offline Sir-diealot

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: With a little help from man’s best friend
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 02:09:00 PM »
See this is your first post, welcome to the forum. Must have been quite the moment when you laid eyes on him.
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 02:27:15 PM »
 :welcomeOG:
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 06:51:50 PM »
 :welcomeOG: I sat in a deer stand once and heard what sounded like a stampede coming from the top of the hill. Got my bow in hand and was waiting for the herd of deer but much to my surprise, it was a flock of about 20 turkeys. Loudest experience I ever had so far and come to find out, a horse back rider was up on the logging road and pushed them to me. Wish I would have had a shot but they were running way to fast.  :OGturkeyhead:

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 08:30:28 AM »
 :OGturkeyhead:
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott