OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 935 question  (Read 1304 times)

Offline cjordan

935 question
« on: March 09, 2019, 01:28:07 PM »
Hopefully someone on here will be able to help with this thought running through my head.

I've got two 835's, each have 24" barrels and both are ported, I'm assuming they came ported from the factory. I bought them second hand and they were already ported. Both guns have some kick to them but nothing to bad, although I usually run 3" shells. I'm also to assume both guns are probably mid 90's give or take a few years.

Now on the other hand, I've got a 935 with a 28" barrel, that isn't ported. This thing will knock sparks from you. Even shooting 3" shells, its rough to shoot. I shot it five times last year (3" LBs) and carried a bruised cheek bone for almost two weeks, sore to the touch for almost a month.

The pattern from the 935 wasn't near as good as a pattern from either of the 835's (same choke, and box of shells)

I bought a stock pad to help with the recoil against the cheek, it was recommended from this sight, although I can't remember the brand. I haven't shot the gun since I put it on so I can't attest to whether it helped or not

It seems to me that the automatic would have less recoil "by default", but since it doesn't... does it make sense that the extra 4" of barrel is coming into play with this issue, along with not being ported?
As far as the porting goes, I'm still a little undecided there since the 835's ports are just on top of the barrel. This to me seems like the only thing it would aid in is barel jump... but I could be wrong about that.

Am I wrong to think that the extra 4" is more room for more powder to burn, inturn causing more recoil? Or does it not work that way?

I called a local gunsmith today to see if he could cut and rethread the barrel to 24", which he says they can, I asked if they could port it also, his reply was... we can for sure cut and rethread, but I'll have to ask the other guy about porting it (other guy was gone to lunch I guess)

Since the gun has a 28" barrel and doesn't pattern nearly as well as the 835's with a 24" barrel do y'all think I would be wasting money to cut the barrel down?

I would really like to make this a dedicated turkey gun due to it being an automatic, but at the same time I don't want to throw a bunch of "wasted" money at it.

Any help or advice is much appreciated and welcomed

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
Re: 935 question
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 05:22:44 PM »
Mine kicks as hard as my 835. Porting in my opinion does nothing on a shotgun. I’ve have shot both side by side and can feel 0 difference. Fit does help, but mossbergs kick.

Offline BrowningGuy88

• Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 05:24:58 PM »
I had the 935 Turkey with 24” barrel and I always thought it kicked way to hard for a heavy auto. With 3.5” Nitro Ray ammo it would hurt you. With Winchester or Federal 2 ounce high velocity loads it would rock you hard.

I traded it off.

I have a Maxus now and with the same loads, it is way more manageable!

Offline jordanz7935

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 09:33:24 PM »
Ive had my 935 for a 10+ years now and its accounted for a lot of turkeys and geese over the years. I had an old non ported 835 before the 935, and the 935 definitely kicks less than the 835 i had. Ive always thought 3" were pretty manageable in my 935. Cheekslap can be an issue with the 3.5", neoprene shell holder helped in my gun. 3.5" magblends were brutal on both ends out of my gun when i shot them. You cant cut and rethread 835 or 935 barrels due to them being overbored to 10ga, that i know of. All else being equal, the longer barrel should kick less, i have a 24"& 28" and haven't really noticed a difference in recoil. Mine has been a great gun, but i hardly carry it turkey hunting anymore compared to my 20 ga's.

Offline Bowguy

• Limbhanger
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 01:59:26 AM »
I know this isn’t something you asked about but you mention the porting. In these guns if you share hunts w anyone, the porting brings the noise that much closer to the ears of your partner. Just an FYI if you have t considered that n plan on doing so

Offline cjordan

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 02:49:37 PM »
Thanks guys it could very well just be the fit of the gun. I have handled and shot several guns and never really had an issue, but this 935 has never really seemed/felt  "right" for some reason while shouldered.

I know the barrels are overbored on 835/935's but I figured they could still be cut down and rethreaded (within reason).

Offline vagobbler67

« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2019, 08:51:01 PM »
the 835's can have porting in their barrels because they are pump actions and do not need the gas to work the action.......being that 935's are semi-auto's they need all the gas they can to work the action....I had a 835 years ago but sold it and have since owned 3 935's....still have 2 of them....They throw wicked patterns with Federal TSS.......and as far as I know you can not cut down the barrels....but you can buy barrels for them from Mossberg.....Good Luck

Offline cjordan

« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2019, 11:50:17 PM »
the 835's can have porting in their barrels because they are pump actions and do not need the gas to work the action.......being that 935's are semi-auto's they need all the gas they can to work the action....I had a 835 years ago but sold it and have since owned 3 935's....still have 2 of them....They throw wicked patterns with Federal TSS.......and as far as I know you can not cut down the barrels....but you can buy barrels for them from Mossberg.....Good Luck
Thank you sir I hadn't thought about the gas escaping through the ports.
What choke are you using for the TSS?