Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

H&R 12 single shot - 3" Federal TSS # 9

Started by Living Water, March 08, 2019, 06:34:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Living Water

H&R topper - 23" barrel - Factory Full Choke out of my Browning BPS. Patterning this gun is brutal!

3" Federal TSS # 9
135 pellets  in a 10" at a tapped 42 yards. Anything under 40 is going to flop.  Going to polish and deep  clean and see if patterns improve. 

"You have to pay for every bird you kill and the coin you use to pay for them is time." Tom Kelly

rem 300

I HAD the H&R 3.5" chamber gun like that, shot it one time and sold it.... Lightweight and HEAVY recoil..

paboxcall

Quote from: rem 300 on March 08, 2019, 07:03:33 PM
I HAD the H&R 3.5" chamber gun like that, shot it one time and sold it.... Lightweight and HEAVY recoil..

Me too, but shot it four times. I was black and blue across my chest and arm. Traded it and immediately regretted it. Fast forward 15 years, I found one used and bought it. Shoot just the 3" Hevi #7 through it. Sweet gun to carry. Pic below...

To the OP - suggest you switch choke tubes, that pattern will jump big time. I shoot a JellyHead .665 with the Hevi 7s and getting 260+ in 10" at a lasered 40 yards.

"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Living Water

PAbox I'm nervous with just the bead to go tighter.  If I put sights on it I'll tight it up.  Shot it with an 670 extra full Mossberg choke and at 20 it was tight. 
"You have to pay for every bird you kill and the coin you use to pay for them is time." Tom Kelly

paboxcall

I understand, LW. I found patterning that my single shot's point of impact to point of aim was several inches low requiring me to float the bead. I didn't like that idea. As you see in the pictures, William at SumToy installed a set of adjustable Williams Firesights on the barrel. Your pattern will certainly kill any turkey out to 40 yards clean.

If your POI is close to your POA, I wouldn't worry about those closer shots if you went with the .670.

Cool little guns. I saw this one on gunbroker few years back and hit the buy now button immediately.
"A quality paddle caller will most run itself.  It just needs someone to carry it around the woods." Yoder409
"Sit down wrong, and you're beat." Jim Spencer
Don't go this year where youtubers went last year.
"It is a fallacy...that turkeys can see through rocks. Only Superman can do that. Instead turkeys see around them."Jim Spencer

Living Water

I shoot that Jelly head out of my 870 with Hevi 13 Mag blendsand its a swarm!.   I think after season Im going to have sights put on and play with some chokes.

edward.penny

Awesome lightweight guns. I have a 20 gauge that has had the Sumtoy treatment. It shoots good with the Heavy shot.

Sent from my moto g(6) (XT1925DL) using Tapatalk