OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Scouting  (Read 2627 times)

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
Scouting
« on: March 08, 2019, 02:35:35 PM »
I will head out in the morning to see iff'n the Turkeynacle Choir are in the mood to hoist a tune at the crack of dawn.

Ave Maria, such as it is.

Supposed to be raining. Oh, well, rain gear it is.  :toothy12:

FC

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Online harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
Re: Scouting
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2019, 05:27:15 PM »
Taking my grandson out in the morning, rain or shine, hope he has as much luck on his side as he did last year. New area we've never hunted.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2019, 05:44:00 PM »
Good luck, stay safe.

Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read.

Online harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2019, 05:46:20 PM »
You too my friend. Hope we miss the rough stuff.

Online 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 06:36:19 PM »
I put a cam last week and checked it today

Online 3bailey3

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 06:40:16 PM »
one thing I noticed from the pics is gobblers are together and hens still together

Online harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #6 on: March 09, 2019, 07:05:30 PM »
I think they are just starting to break up in N. MS. I've seen a solo gobbler w/ 2 hens on some of my cameras, while also seeing 3 w/ 9 hens on another property. Hopefully better weather upcoming will speed the process up.

Offline FullChoke

• Double Beard
  • Central Minnesota
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 02:56:21 PM »
I saw the same thing here in central MS yesterday. My wife and I went out driving and saw a group of 3 gobblers together and a separate group of 4 hens. I didn't hear any gobbling birds that morning. Spring foliage is coming on strong, but the birds seem a little behind the schedule.

Offline TKE921

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 07:09:29 PM »
This has been the first decent day we have had in a while and the wind is howling.  I am hopeful to begin scouting after I return from FL.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2019, 10:32:40 PM »
You guys are really starting to make me jealous! We have over 2' of snow on the ground up here as yet! Going to be 3 or 4 weeks until I even get started scouting. Not much reason to yet as the birds are all still in their big winter flocks. Could be some winter kill going on up here with the long cold snowy winter we have had. Time will tell.

Online harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2019, 05:47:18 PM »
Potential target (lower left hand corner)? Haven't been able to get out since opening day but have a couple of days next week I can go play.

Offline TKE921

« Reply #11 on: April 04, 2019, 06:34:05 PM »
Went out on a lease I am part of today.  This was the first time I wore a set of walker game ears and man was it an experience.  So I got out of the truck and immediately noticed the grass sounded like I was crunching sticks and the sticks sounded like I was snapping framing timbers apart.  I walked 20 yards from the truck and one cut loose....I ducked.  It was so loud I would have bet money he was roosted on my hat.  This evening will be spent adjusting the listening tone and the volume while watching TV. 

I ended up hearing 3 where I was and my friend heard a bunch.  We are taking his son and another youngster out for VA youth day this saturday, which means I will be useless at work tomorrow.

Offline xarcher

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: April 04, 2019, 08:41:11 PM »
Sat on my neighbors porch this morning and heard 4 different roosts gobbling

Guns don't kill people.  Guns kill food.

Online harleytom

• The Boss Gobbler
    • Tinypic
« Reply #13 on: April 04, 2019, 09:51:47 PM »
Those Game Ears are amazing! I've got a set and can't believe how much of nature I can't hear naturally.

Offline paintbrush

• Longbeard
« Reply #14 on: April 05, 2019, 09:58:55 PM »
Heading out in the morning for my first scouting trip of the year. The snow up here for the most part is gone, except for some still left in patches in the thick woods and swamps. Could still go ice fishing if I wanted to as we still have plenty of ice on the lakes yet. Might not be the best for hearing some gobbling on the roost as there might be some light rain in the area, but I need to get out there! Have seen some toms strutting their stuff for the ladies in the past week in my travels in the area.