OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Lets change the Title: single shot 20 Ga.  (Read 2895 times)

Offline Bill from NJ

Lets change the Title: single shot 20 Ga.
« on: March 08, 2019, 09:46:16 AM »
I am interested in your options on what turkey choke you feel may be best for my use.

Here is the info I will be using:
20 Ga.,  6 to 71/2  dia. Lead shot only.
Manufacture recommends using Remington style screw in chokes.

I am interested in your opinion also regarding the differences between: chokes that are flush with end of barrel, and those with up to 1" extension outside the barrel.

I would like to get a Extra Extra Super Duper, Full, Turkey Choke with the tight diameter opening of a frogs azz.

"Basically what I want is to shoot 6 to 71/2 lead only, and looking for the tightest usable choke pattern available".

Would one of those .555 chokes be too tight?

Should I use something along the lines of :.560 - .570?

What say you?

Thank you for your anticipated reply.
I would like to place mt order sometime very soon.
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 07:11:37 PM by Bill from NJ »
Ephesians Chapter 6:12

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Offline scoffman1

Re: Lets change the Title: single shot 20 Ga.
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2019, 09:07:17 AM »
Thank you for posting this. I'm interested in reading the feedback. I have same questions.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

Online sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 09, 2019, 11:31:36 AM »
contrary to popular belief....tighter is not always better.  personally, I think you'd be better suited with the .560 to .575 range tubes. you're still getting lot's of shot in the target and a more even pattern.

jus' my 2cents

Offline Bill from NJ

« Reply #3 on: March 09, 2019, 05:11:01 PM »
sswv,

Thank you sir for your response.

What is the consensus of a choke that maybe thought of as too tight for a 20 Ga., .555 maybe?

How about the question regarding chokes that fit flush with the barrel compared to chokes that extend out about 1 inch?

Remember I did say I will be using old school 6 to 71/2 Lead shot only, none of the newer fancy stuff.

Thanks.

For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places.

Offline dirt road ninja

• Double Beard
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2019, 05:52:18 PM »
A 555 will be about the size of a basket ball at 25 yards with 7.5 lead. At 10 yards they are all tight.

Offline Bill from NJ

« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2019, 06:58:08 PM »
Thanks drn.

Appreciate the response.

Offline captpete

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 10:30:09 AM »
In my wifes SA-20 with a 24" barrel(I know not a single shot) shooting longbeard 6's through a Hevi .573  ported choke tube she gets a solid, very even huntable pattern at 35yds. At 37-38yds it's starting too get kind of thin. At 40, it would probably kill a bird, but it's pretty sparse. At 15 yds she has somewhere between a softball and a volleyball size pattern.

When I had the gun drilled & tapped, the gunsmith recommended using an extended tube for turkey hunting. He said when using a very tight choke, the tightest part of the choke would be outside of the barrel and there would be less chance of barrel damage. I have no idea if there would be a performance difference between a flush and extend tube.

Offline DBell

Lets change the Title: single shot 20 Ga.
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 10:49:54 AM »
I am interested in your options on what turkey choke you feel may be best for my use.

Here is the info I will be using:
20 Ga.,  6 to 71/2  dia. Lead shot only.
Manufacture recommends using Remington style screw in chokes.

I am interested in your opinion also regarding the differences between: chokes that are flush with end of barrel, and those with up to 1" extension outside the barrel.

I would like to get a Extra Extra Super Duper, Full, Turkey Choke with the tight diameter opening of a frogs azz.

"Basically what I want is to shoot 6 to 71/2 lead only, and looking for the tightest usable choke pattern available".

Would one of those .555 chokes be too tight?

Should I use something along the lines of :.560 - .570?

What say you?

Thank you for your anticipated reply.
I would like to place mt order sometime very soon.
LB #6 40 yards Final Strut .570

LB #6 40 yards Trulock .565

I average between 110 - 130 hits in the 10 at 40 yards with either choke. Out of both a 26 inch barrel 870 and a 21 inch barrel 870

Not sure if a tighter choke would get these patterns tighter. Could blow em out. If you’re trying for the tightest lead pattern at 40 yards, LB is the way to go, and they like .565 -.570

What’s your intended purpose with this setup? To have a 40 yard lead load that puts up high numbers? To have a lead load that gives nice hunting patterns with room for error at closer ranges but can still reach out to 35-40 yards if needed?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
« Last Edit: March 10, 2019, 11:12:02 AM by DBell »

Offline Bill from NJ

« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 11:03:18 AM »
capt & DB,

Thank you both for your informative replies.

I have taking all information given to me.

Decided on: .570 choke for the little 20.

Again, thanks to everyone who led me in the right direction.

Regards,

Bill

Online sswv

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 02:26:38 PM »
these guys are pretty spot on.   I can only give info pertaining to Remington guns but it's been my experience that anything tighter than .570 for lead shot has been to tight "for my liking" in the 20 ga.   I've had good luck in the Remington 20's with most brand chokes and shot sizes from .570 thru .575.   However, I do use a .560 with the Federal Heavy 7's.

Offline jrmcclure

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2019, 04:35:48 PM »

Remember I did say I will be using old school 6 to 71/2 Lead shot only, none of the newer fancy stuff.

How about just a little fancy. Fiocchi makes a 3" nickel plated 7.5 lead that can be bought in boxs of 25. Federal make a 3" 1 5/16 lead turkey load 5's or 6's. And maybe even the new longbeard shells. The run of the mill 1oz 2 3/4 field load will be alright to 25 yards, but I think you will find that there are better choices that will get you that extra 15 yards for a few more bucks.

Offline jrmcclure

« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2019, 04:48:33 PM »
Might look at these. I have used them to check my red dot and they look good at 20 and 30yrds. And I did use a very tight choke.

truglo ssx rem choke .550
Still got the choke and would sell it if interested. I guess I went ahead and started loading the fancy stuff and it was just to tight, but did great with lead, hevi 7's, and hw 7's which have since been discontinued.

Offline DBell

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2019, 06:13:01 PM »
Might look at these. I have used them to check my red dot and they look good at 20 and 30yrds. And I did use a very tight choke.

truglo ssx rem choke .550
Still got the choke and would sell it if interested. I guess I went ahead and started loading the fancy stuff and it was just to tight, but did great with lead, hevi 7's, and hw 7's which have since been discontinued.

Another good point worth mentioning. NJ Bill, you might find that you can’t get the pattern you’re looking for with the #6 and #7.5 you plan on shooting no matter the choke you use. The newer lead loads, mainly longbeard, and also the new federal grand slams I’ve found greatly out perform other popular lead turkey loads once you start looking beyond 25-30 yards. I think you’ll be okay keeping your max range to 25-30 yards with most any load you use, but if you’d like to have confidence out to 35-40 then you you’ll likely need to try some different loads. I’ve done a fair amount of testing on the LB #6 and Fed grand slam #5 and I can say that the LB will take one at 40, and the grand slam at 35 without a doubt. I don’t desire a long distance turkey load, most times I see them around 25-30 yards, however it’s nice to know you have a little extra if you misjudge distance. Nothing worse then shooting at a nice Tom and seeing him fly off.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk