turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Tried a scope for the first time...

Started by nr123, March 08, 2019, 01:17:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nr123

on my Beretta A400.  I've been turkey hunting over 35 years and never tried a scope on a shotgun.  Bought a Leupold Freedom series 1.5-4 , installed a  Beretta rail, and Leupold med steel rings.  I have a 28" bbl, and JEBS turkey tube.  When looking thru my scope on 2x or less, I'm seeing a good portion of my bbl thru my scope. Is this normal?  I've shot scopes on rifles most of my life , never on a 30" shotgun bbl (bbl + 2" turkey tube).  Of course, when I turn the power up to 4x, I see less of the bbl. 
For you scope users, is this typical?  Course in the back of my mind, I'm also concerned about eye relief and getting zapped in the forehead with my new scope.  I have about 4" of eye relief now, and plan to shoot 3" shells.  Didn't get around to turkey ammo yet, only had time to zero the scope.

coyote1

It is normal to see a little barrel at low magnification. You should be good on eye relief with that scope. Leopold and Nikon have the best eye relief out of all scopes that I have tried.

Greg Massey

I'm running 2 scopes , one on 20 gauge Simmons Pro Diamond and 12 gauge has Nikon Turkey Pro and I have never notice seeing the barrel etc... i think your fine on eye relief ....

Seminoleturkey

I'm about to give a leupold vx2 1x4x20 a try .eye releif is very impressive on this scope and the eye box is extremely friendly.

10gaugemag

You will see a portion of barrel on low power due to the wide field of view you have at lower powers.

I see a dab of barrel on one of my rifles when at 2x,.  No big deal at all.

SOCOM304

Yes, at the lower powers, you will see the barrel. It never bothered me personally. I have a VX 3 Leupold on a 450 Marlin (1.5-5) guide gun with 18.5" barrel and still see the barrel through it on 1.5-2 power.

limbhanger777

Definitely normal to see the barrel at low magnification like that. Here a pic looking through my Leupold NWTF 2-7x33. Although the barrel and front are out of focus they're clearly still visible in the scope.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk