OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Where is this ship headed?  (Read 15671 times)

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
Re: Where is this ship headed?
« Reply #135 on: March 15, 2019, 06:12:27 AM »
You wanna know where this ship is headed? Just take a look at the post “ is my setup a overkill. Thats where its headed or may I say has already arrived.
????????
If you make everything easy how do you know when your good at anything?

Offline Spitten and drummen

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #136 on: March 15, 2019, 06:48:02 AM »
You wanna know where this ship is headed? Just take a look at the post “ is my setup a overkill. Thats where its headed or may I say has already arrived.
????????

Talking about the clown shooting turkeys at 82 yards.
“ RANGERS LEAD THE WAY”
“QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME “ ~ INFANTRY
“DEATH FROM ABOVE “ ~ AIRBORNE

Offline greencop01

• Longbeard
« Reply #137 on: March 15, 2019, 06:50:18 AM »
My take on this technology stuff is more turkey hunters are inept at using this stuff and lazy in their hunting habits. This means more turkeys for me to hunt! And that is a good thing!
We wait all year,why not enjoy the longbeard coming in hunting for a hen, let 'em' in close !!!

Offline Tom Foolery

• Longbeard
« Reply #138 on: March 15, 2019, 07:11:38 AM »
A guy I know killed a bird at 77 steps with 3” #4 lead.  I was a senior on high school, so that would have made it 1997.  He shot at several around that range, that was the only one he recovered. 

It’s not like TSS is the only reason people take longer shots. 

I don’t look at someone who uses technology or new stuff as lazy or incompetent.   I actually don’t bother with casting any judgement on them since I don’t buy their license.   I don’t carry a decoy, never sat in a blind, I don’t have any fields to hunt, and I don’t shoot TSS.  It doesn’t bother me if people do those things though.

I have a problem with poachers.  I think they’re low level human beings that damage all hunting. 

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #139 on: March 15, 2019, 09:52:47 AM »
????????

Yeah I know exactly what you were talking about
Got a new phone and instead of the thumbs up emoji it put in the ?? Lol

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #140 on: March 15, 2019, 10:50:08 AM »
????????

Yeah I know exactly what you were talking about
Got a new phone and instead of the thumbs up emoji it put in the ?? Lol
As soon as they started mentioning the crazy distances, I knew that thread was getting removed.....

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #141 on: March 15, 2019, 12:08:44 PM »
I've killed way more ducks than most serious duck hunters I know.  Actually had one of those .com film crews trying to get us to take them hunting when they saw how many birds we were bringing in over the course of a week
I am a pretty skilled duck hunter,
I shoot an O/U because it is more traditional and I like it.

What they don't realize is that when they are bragging how many they have killed or how they do it this way or that way, most adult hunters are laughing at them.   

Your right that is funny lol.
In this whole thread I’ve only seen one person say how many turkeys he’s killed. I have found that you don’t really need them to tell you how many or how long they have been hunting you can always tell the part timers and pseudo experts by the way there posts contradict themselves lol

Yeah, convenient how you left out where I said I was fortunate (that means lucky) and did not consider myself elite and said there were plenty of folks that were better callers, etc.  Saw too much of yourself in the rest of my post huh? 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline deerpoo22

« Reply #142 on: March 15, 2019, 12:26:37 PM »
When I placed my order with nitro company a few weeks back, the gentlemen on the phone asked me if I had ever used TSS shot before. I told him ya and was well aware of its capabilities. He started to laugh and told me quite a number of their customers have been smacking turkeys at over 100 yards with it including one guy who rangefound it at 112 yards and took the shot anyway. I didn’t find it amusing and placed my order and went on my way. That’s just totally absurd

Offline SD_smith

« Reply #143 on: March 15, 2019, 01:47:24 PM »
Brings as I’ll be 28 this month and am ate up with most things outdoors, I’d like to chime in on this.

While I no longer feel that I’m one of the “young kids”, I’m definitely not far removed from it. I also apologize if this has been brought up, but I didn’t feel the need to read 3 pages about food plots.

I grew up in wyoming and still live here. For my 16th birthday (Birthday is on April 22nd) my dad asked me what I wanted to do. I wanted to go turkey hunt. Neither one of us had ever even seen a turkey I don’t think. But we went to the black hills because we had heard all about it. We drove around public land blowing on our crow calls and probably doing more harm than good. It’s legal to shoot turkeys with rifles and on the last day we found turkeys and killed them with rifles. We had a great time and were well within the law as we celebrated and high fived. Although I never heard any flack from it, I’m sure when I posted on forums there were plenty of people who didn’t think that was cool. Since then, I’ve spot and stalked birds, called birds in, ambushed em, and killed em about every way possible. I know I got flack for spot and stalking them instead of calling them in in my early years, but I enjoyed it, and again, I was well within the law.

Since then I’ve evolved and I hunt turkeys how I enjoy which is on public land, running and gunning, and trying to outwit any birds I can find. I go into my hunts full of enjoyment and a “great for you” attitude. I don’t think I’m high and mighty and I don’t pass judgement as long as its legal. My dad would rather sit in a blind all day, relax, and hope one walks by nowadays. That’s great! Some guys I know still shoot em with rifles, and while I don’t bring mine on trips anymore, that’s great! If some rancher shoots one out of his kitchen window I chuckle and say “that’s great!” When somebody says, “you’re going all the way to Iowa to kill a bird I say, “yes I really enjoy hunting them, and if you never want to go....THATS GREAT!”

We’ve got way too many problems in this world to be worried about how another person turkey hunts. If it’s against the law then that’s of course different. Hunt how you want to hunt and enjoy yourself. I’ve taken a lot of my friends on turkey hunts and they thought it was going to be a cake walk. Most of them don’t come anymore. Some of them that do would rather kill one with a rifle than go home empty handed. I’m not like that anymore, but that’s great!

I guess the point I’m trying to get across is, the hunting community would we a better place if when some young kid told you they went to the black hills and shot a gobbler with a rifle, that instead of giving them grief and telling them how you think it should be done, and how you do it now, you simply say....THATS GREAT!
X2
Different strokes for different folks.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #144 on: March 15, 2019, 03:22:12 PM »
I've killed way more ducks than most serious duck hunters I know.

I shoot an O/U because it is more traditional and I like it. 
Not  convenient but hilarious, those are your direct quotes ..... you can’t make this stuff up lol
You may want to reevaluate your philosophy

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #145 on: March 15, 2019, 04:35:16 PM »
Okay. Maybe you are just not that bright.  It is okay, a lot of folks aren't.  Maybe English is your second language. The whole point I was making that 98% of people that read this understood, is although I have killed a lot of ducks and I hunt with a certain gun because I like it, I don't think, nor am I, better than any other duck hunter and I freely admit there are better ones than me.
The way you should know that is BECAUSE I SAID IT
"I have been blessed with opportunity-through invitations and chance meetings- "the means" -I am not poor, not rich, but the Lord has blessed me enough I can afford to take those hunts, plenty of working folks can't through no fault of their own-
"and more than a bit of luck"-I think I put fortunate when I typed it the first time and changed it to luck-
"to chase them in 4 states and 2 countries".

If you can't understand that from what I wrote, you probably could not work a cell phone anyways. 

So you are either obtuse, confused, or argumentative.  Probably a little of all three.  I think I hurt your feelings.  You can have the last word.   
« Last Edit: March 15, 2019, 04:43:58 PM by g8rvet »
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline LaLongbeard

• Double Beard
  • Louisiana
« Reply #146 on: March 15, 2019, 07:44:34 PM »
Okay. Maybe you are just not that bright.  It is okay, a lot of folks aren't.  Maybe English is your second language. The whole point I was making that 98% of people that read this understood, is although I have killed a lot of ducks and I hunt with a certain gun because I like it, I don't think, nor am I, better than any other duck hunter and I freely admit there are better ones than me.
The way you should know that is BECAUSE I SAID IT
"I have been blessed with opportunity-through invitations and chance meetings- "the means" -I am not poor, not rich, but the Lord has blessed me enough I can afford to take those hunts, plenty of working folks can't through no fault of their own-
"and more than a bit of luck"-I think I put fortunate when I typed it the first time and changed it to luck-
"to chase them in 4 states and 2 countries".

If you can't understand that from what I wrote, you probably could not work a cell phone anyways. 

So you are either obtuse, confused, or argumentative.  Probably a little of all three.  I think I hurt your feelings.  You can have the last word.
I understand completely....you wrote a post saying how good of a duck hunter you are and how many more ducks you kill than the other guy,then you said ,in the same post, people that brag about how many they kill and how they hunt get laughed at. I agreed and laughed at you ALOT.....still laughing even showed your post to a couple more people we all laughed at you and your post. I don’t think you understand what a contradiction is that’s ok a lot of people don’t ( not really most 10 year olds get it) Maybe next time you get done typing one of your long winded philosophical posts you could get someone to proof read it, hopefully saving you another one of these embarrassing situations lol. Thanks for the last word I don’t think you were able to wrap this up yourself

Bay1985

« Reply #147 on: March 20, 2019, 09:35:04 AM »

I understand completely....you wrote a post saying how good of a duck hunter you are and how many more ducks you kill than the other guy,then you said ,in the same post, people that brag about how many they kill and how they hunt get laughed at. I agreed and laughed at you ALOT.....still laughing even showed your post to a couple more people we all laughed at you and your post. I don’t think you understand what a contradiction is that’s ok a lot of people don’t ( not really most 10 year olds get it) Maybe next time you get done typing one of your long winded philosophical posts you could get someone to proof read it, hopefully saving you another one of these embarrassing situations lol. Thanks for the last word I don’t think you were able to wrap this up yourself

I didn’t understand the guy bragging about duck hunting,and then downing people that brag about killing stuff. I think this particular ship has sank lol. Started off as a good thread then kinda went off the deep end

Offline CAPTJJ

• Rod Bender Charters
« Reply #148 on: March 20, 2019, 10:31:42 AM »
There is no "ship", stop worrying about things you can't control and what others are doing... go hunt how you like (legally).