OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Where is this ship headed?

Started by Happy, March 07, 2019, 10:44:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sir-diealot

Quote from: Happy on March 09, 2019, 04:37:11 PM
So an insect that infects a deer. Then causes other insects to obtain the virus by biting said deer don't have a way worse effect in a densely populated area. Learn something new every day.

"EHD, or epizootic hemorrhagic disease, is one of the deadliest natural disease a whitetail deer may encounter.

EHD is much more common in wet years, such as the one we have had this year. The carriers are midges, mites, and mosquitos which are much more common during these conditions."
https://www.wideopenspaces.com/learn-ehd-drury-outdoors-video/

Said insects would be in more abundance in the conditions spoken on in the article"
Strength does not come from winning. Your struggles develop your strengths. When you go through hardships and decide not to surrender, that is strength. Arnold Schwarzenegger

John Koenig:
"It's better to live as your own man, than as a fool in someone else's dream."

shaman

Our area is prone to EHD.  It hits every so often when it's really dry.  Both deer and cattle get it, but the cattle are able to deal with it.  It comes from a midge that can only exist in hot, dry, windless conditions.  The midge lives right at the water's edge.  Normally, deer do not come to water to drink. They get their water off the leaves. However, when it's hot and dry, they'll go to water.  They go to a nearby pond, drink, and allow the midge to bite them.  Later, when the flu-like symptoms hit, they try to alleviate the fever by standing in the water.  They die. The midge feasts on the carcass and the cycle repeats.

EHD incidence has nothing to do with crowding or food plots.  It has everything to do with extreme drought and the proximity of deer and cattle.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

Happy

So if 2 Deer come to the pond and get infected. Go out and wander around to other locations for two or three days before they find a pond or creek to die in it is going to have the same effect of spreading the disease as 20 deer coming to the same pond? I am sorry but that makes no sense. Fire is not spread by spacing wood apart. It is spread by bunching it together. Over a large area. We can agree to disagree and no hard feelings but any time cause wild animals to congregate in an area at high population levels the potential for bad things to happen rises.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

GobbleNut

I'll butt in and try to settle this for you guys.  One of you is talking about "cause" and the other is talking about "affect", or more specifically, spread of the disease related to time.   Both of you are correct in what you are talking about, but you are talking about two different things. 

...Now, what was the original post about again?....   ;D :toothy12:

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 10, 2019, 09:57:18 AM
If there was a ship load of deer, and EHD broke out, what was the cause and affect?  And what role did the Drury's play?
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

GobbleNut

Quote from: guesswho on March 10, 2019, 10:22:39 AM
If there was a ship load of deer, and EHD broke out, what was the cause and affect?  And what role did the Drury's play?

Oh,...Okay,...that clears it up for me.  We can always rely on you to make things clear as mud...   ;D :toothy12:

shaman

The midges are always there.  It just takes the right conditions for them to infect a deer.  Given those circumstances, deer get infected no matter what the density.  However, more deer, more infections.

This is not an artifact of too many deer any more than you can claim athelete's foot is caused by too many atheletes.

Genesis 9:2-4 Ministries  of SW Bracken County, KY 
Lighthearted Confessions of a Cervid Serial Killer

GobbleNut

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 10, 2019, 10:34:50 AM

Oh,...Okay,...that clears it up for me.  We can always rely on you to make things clear as mud...   ;D :toothy12:

Ohhh,...and by the way, I see you've moved to Georgia.  ...They finally ran you out of Alabama, huh?...

Happy

I think that ship was a Donzi, we blew the engine and we have to teach the deer to paddle.

Good-Looking and Platinum member of the Elitist Club

guesswho

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 10, 2019, 10:41:44 AM

Ohhh,...and by the way, I see you've moved to Georgia.  ...They finally ran you out of Alabama, huh?...
Still have property in Alabama.  Decided to move to Georgia to see if those Bama turkeys are harder to kill as a non-resident.

Quote from: Happy on March 10, 2019, 10:53:52 AM
I think that ship was a Donzi, we blew the engine and we have to teach the deer to paddle.
Should have loaded the boat with ducks and geese.  They make better paddlers because of the webbed feet.
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

ChiefBubba

Guesswho I see the Glades Legend has tagged out today. I'm surprised it took him a week. Typically it's the second or third day. Lol. I wonder where all he's off to this year. He hits it hard every year. Bubba

guesswho

He has several western states lined up.  Even going to hit Bama if he can squeeze it in.   
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Calls Prostaff

longspur

Quote from: guesswho on March 10, 2019, 01:57:52 PM
He has several western states lined up.  Even going to hit Bama if he can squeeze it in.

That settles it. This ship is headed to BAMA.  allABOARD!! any tickets left, I'm in.

tomstopper

Quote from: GobbleNut on March 10, 2019, 10:41:44 AM

Killing me GobbleNut....lol

fallhnt

I've got my own boat. It sails where I want.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy