OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Advise on Turkey Calls  (Read 935 times)

Offline uk.turkey.hunter

Advise on Turkey Calls
« on: March 19, 2019, 11:26:13 AM »
So I'm in the market for a couple of new turkey calls for this up coming season.
I need a new box call, mouth call and a new pot call and I need some suggestions on all!!!!

Offline Turkeytider

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Advise on Turkey Calls
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2019, 11:37:17 AM »
Endless possibilities! As far as a pot, if you don`t have one from him, David Halloran makes a fine one ( Crystal Mistress, Twisted Sister ). For a box, SS or Jeff McKamey ( hope I didn`t mess up the spelling ).

Offline Harty

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2019, 01:27:59 PM »
I would search this site and read. Many great recommendations for the many talented call makers that exiist for both Box and Pot calls. Can be a bit overwhelming so narrowing it down to surface type,price range , and how long you would be willing to wait would help narrow it down. I spoke to Scott fro m Hooks Custom calls regarding getting some new mouth calls and he was very helpful.

Good LUck

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2019, 03:38:24 PM »
Here it goes. This is just my preference and hopefully it helps you.

Box call (long or short) = Spring Creek

Mouth calls = Gooserbat

Pot call = Lights Out (slate and glass (my glass call is my go to and I would be lost without it))

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

Offline coyote1

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2019, 05:00:55 PM »
All good makers listed.

Short box- Albert Paul or SS.

Long box- Ernie Fetters or Jeff Mckamey.

Slate pot: Lonnie  Mabry or Sneed.
Glass/crystal: David Halloran.

Mouth calls: Hook or Gooserbat. If you use a small frame, hooks for sure. Scott's customer service is second to none and will take the time to talk to you.

Offline g8rvet

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2019, 05:22:59 PM »
Yingling makes a sweet wet/dry pot call.  Maybe not for your first, but it is sure nice to have it in your arsenal. 
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Offline MK M GOBL

• Double Beard
  • Gobbler Guru
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2019, 09:14:38 PM »
This would be mine off the list, it wasn't my first buy, but was my second! And been killing birds with it for better than 20 years.

My CODY World Class Slate and worth every penny and more!

MK M GOBL

Offline sixbird

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2019, 09:37:40 PM »
Boxes...Probably getting late at this point but SS boys could probably get you one in time. Marlin Watkins maybe also. That's for short boxes. Long boxes, probably Ernie Fetters could get you a good one in time.
Mouth call...Woodhaven, Hooks, Pecker Wrecker are good. There are tons of good ones. I'd check Midwest Turkey Supply. They'll have a bunch and they can give you some input on what you might want. Calling All Turkeys has a good kit to determine what cut is best for you.
Pot calls...BlackStone is good for glass. Lonnie Sneed is hard to beat. His green glass is about as good as you'll get in respect to realistic sound. Aluminum, Jimmy Schaffer makes a great blasted aluminum. Slate, Scott Hock or Jimmy Schaffer would be a good choice. Copper, Scott Veiting.
There are a lot of guys that make great calls but at this late date, the above might be worth a call...

Offline Jeremy66

« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2019, 08:30:13 AM »
short box, SS custom.  I recently got one from them boys and its a good one.  Right now wait time is 5-6 weeks but you may find a used one on here.

pot call, Halloran crystal mistress.

mouth call, Gooserbat and Houndstooth is what I like so far.  Havent tried a lot yet as I just started using them last year.