turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Poplar pot

Started by KyScott, March 07, 2019, 10:22:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

KyScott

Has anybody had a Poplar pot before? If so what surface/sound board and how did you like it?

coyote1

Brad Roberts made a bronzed glass over aluminum in a poplar pot that sounded awesome.

Finding bronzed glass or a Roberts pot that someone will get rid of is like seeing a unicorn.

Spitten and drummen

Quote from: coyote1 on March 07, 2019, 10:27:04 AM
Brad Roberts made a bronzed glass over aluminum in a poplar pot that sounded awesome.

Finding bronzed glass or a Roberts pot that someone will get rid of is like seeing a unicorn.

He also made a regular glass in poplar. Seems like I have seen a few other poplar pots and the ones I have seen have had glass surfaces.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

Gen.27:3

Years ago I had a Cane Creek slate in a Poplar pot that was a great sounding call.
Gen 27:3  Now then, take your weapons, your quiver and your bow, and go out to the field and hunt game for me,

HookedonHooks

Quote from: Spitten and drummen on March 07, 2019, 10:31:42 AM

He also made a regular glass in poplar. Seems like I have seen a few other poplar pots and the ones I have seen have had glass surfaces.
Both Brad's bronzed glass and normal glass over aluminum in a Poplar pot are very strong calls. He has quite a few older glass over glass with the painted sound boards out there that are pretty good too. His Poplar two sider at Nashville was very strong.

I'd imagine it could be a good wood for grey slate as well.

KyScott

Thanks guys that's great info. Reason asking is because I have some oak and poplar from a tobacco barn my Granddad built in 1953. Storm brought it down a couple years ago and i put some of it back to keep in case I wanted to make something out of down the road. Gonna send a little of it off for 2 pots and was trying to decide which wood to go with out of the 2.

Spitten and drummen

I have heard some slate in a oak pot that sounded great.
" RANGERS LEAD THE WAY"
"QUEEN OF BATTLE FOLLOW ME " ~ INFANTRY
"DEATH FROM ABOVE " ~ AIRBORNE

yelpy

Both are good pot call wood. I'd say get a slate oak pot made and a glass popular pot made.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

shatcher

I think the green glass Lonnie Sneed pot is poplar.  I have a Cane Creek slate and one in glass that are in poplar pots.  I figured green slate in a poplar pot would be good.

letinmfly

Boyd Smith made one heck of a slate in a Poplar pot, as well as Cedar. 
Captain of the former Gobble Kings

coyote1

Quote from: yelpy on March 07, 2019, 08:06:54 PM
Both are good pot call wood. I'd say get a slate oak pot made and a glass popular pot made.

Sent from my SM-J727VPP using Tapatalk

Oak does make a great slate pot. I have 2 that sound really good.

RossAnderson

I have a Sinclair poplar crystal over slate commin in the mail soon.

-Ross
-Ross

zelmo1

I do a poplar glass over aluminum that sounds good. It can get high if you lean on it. It will cut the wind, lol

singlestrand

Daggerz

Brad is a great guy and call maker. He made me a crystal over slate, in mineral poplar.